initiating a count process in try/cath block

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of michael glenn michael glenn 2 years ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of michael glenn
    michael glenn
    Participant

looking for a hint of how I would do a count process in a try / catch block.
    my situation is im running a try block with get-aduser against a csv file. then doing a catch with the Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException
    I would like to count how many of those exceptions happen so I have a way of telling if there were none.. which would tell me all users on the csv are actual valid users.
    is this even possible? im doing a search and having a hard time finding anything...

suggestions please.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Sure. Set a variable to zero, and then in your Catch block, increment it.

$var = 0
    $var++

Assuming you're testing one user at a time, which is what you'd need to do for this to work.

michael glenn
    Participant

im doing a for-each. $varB shows 1, but only if I run "$varb" manually after script runs. "$varA" shows 0, again.. only if I run it manually after script runs.
    same thing if I rem out the out-null... is it because of the -erroraction stop? if so.. but don't I need that to catch the exception?

foreach ($line in $userlist) {
        $varA = 0
        $varB = 0
       try {
           Get-ADUser $line.ID -ea stop # | out-null # (out-null suppresses output, so only none existant users are displayed)-MG
           $varB++
           }
           catch [Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException] {
           $varA++
           " $line.ID doesn't exist.....beginning creation of user "  # | out-file "c:\scripts\feedback\HS-Student-Creation.txt" -Append 
           write "$varA errors caught"
           write "$varB user accounts checked"       }
           }

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Well... that's a scope thing. Variables defined inside a script stop existing when the script finishes. So if you're checking "after the script runs," then I wouldn't expect anything to have a value. You've also got a logic error.

Your two Write statements are going to run every tie you hit an error... so if your last account exists, you won't see that output.

$varA = 0
        $varB = 0
    foreach ($line in $userlist) {
       try {
           Get-ADUser $line.ID -ea stop # | out-null # (out-null suppresses output, so only none existant users are displayed)-MG
           $varB++
           } #try
           catch [Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException] {
           $varA++
           " $line.ID doesn't exist.....beginning creation of user "  # | out-file "c:\scripts\feedback\HS-Student-Creation.txt" -Append 
           } #catch
           } #foreach
           write "$varA errors caught"
           write "$varB user accounts checked"     

Try moving the write statements to the end of the script, just after closing the ForEach loop. You also need to move the two initial set-to-zero statements. Look at your logic – $varA and $varB are set to zero EACH TIME you hit a new user. So they're never going to be more than 1, because you're resetting them to zero each time.

Personally, I'd also use better variable names – $UsersChecked and $UsersFailed for example. Makes the script easier to read.

michael glenn
    Participant

oh man.. I feel so stupid I didn't realize that logic. both the variable and the write command in a loop. thanks for pointing that out to me.. .and I agree with
    the naming... I usually do make more meaningful names.. but while trying to work out the logic I tend to use quick little variable names for testing purposes.
    but it would actually be useful to use a meaningful name to cut back on confusion during the beginning stages of the script.

thanks for the help.. its appreciated.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.