input object from csv into active directory attribute

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A input object from csv into active directory attribute

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

Participant

I have a script that inputs users employeeID's into a specific active directory attribute.

I'm noticing that it's not working for new users since their field is blank to start. Now i'm not sure if I need to modify the code to have the field -eq "$null" or something as right now it's -eq "".

#Gets the EmployeeID of the user from AD
                    $existingEmployeeID = get-aduser $adUserByEmail -properties employeeid | select -ExpandProperty employeeid

#Check if the employee ID is already set and set to ID given by Oracle
                    if ($existingEmployeeID -eq "") {

#Set Employee ID of user in AD - only if it was previously unset
                        Set-ADUser $adUserByEmail -EmployeeID $employeeID
                        write-host "TRIED TO WRITE NEW ID"

What do you think?

I should also add that is if add $existingEmployeeID -ne "" in the if statement then it works, but i really don't want to make it rewrite to AD everytime. HR may screw up the employeeID's which could be an issue.
    thanks

Participant

By default the AD attribute should be NULL ($null). However, if anyone is setting values in AD by setting them to "" versus a Set-ADUser -Clear EmployeeID, then you could run into some false positives. Rather than checking if the value is null, you may want to consider checking to see if it's a pattern. For instance, say the employee ID is 5 numeric digits, you could do a regex pattern like this:

$ids = "23456", "234dg", "1234", "55352", "1234456"

foreach ($id in $ids) {
        New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property @{
            ID = $id;
            Match = ($id -match "^\d{5}$")
        }
    }

Output:

ID      Match
    --      -----
    23456    True
    234dg   False
    1234    False
    55352    True
    1234456 False

Participant

Thanks for the help Rob.

What i ended up doing was an AD employeeid check against the Spreadsheet and also include $null.

So

#Sets the format of EmployeeID to Oracle CSV
                    $employeeid = $employee.emplid
                     Write-Host "Employee ID: " $employeeid

#Gets the EmployeeID of the user from AD
                    $existingEmployeeID = get-aduser $adUserByEmail -properties employeeid | select -ExpandProperty employeeid

#Check if the employee ID is already set and set to ID given by Oracle
                    if ($existingEmployeeID -ne $employeeid -or $null) {

#Set Employee ID of user in AD - only if it was previously unset or set to wrong ID
                        Set-ADUser $adUserByEmail -EmployeeID $employeeID
                        write-host "TRIED TO WRITE NEW ID"

that way it covers if it's a new hire with no employeeid and if HR somehow types in the wrong one at hire.

The topic ‘input object from csv into active directory attribute’ is closed to new replies.