Input Thoughts and Opinions

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

by Martin9700 at 2013-05-01 13:14:56

I'm working on rewriting a script I have to allow for more dynamic configuration. This will require quite a few parameters, and while I have no problem using parameters the reality is once you have the ones you like they're not going to change. You'll be running this script from a scheduled task so a lot of parameters in Task Scheduler can also be a little painful.

I'm curious what's the general thoughts on getting a bunch of information into a script? Maybe a few "text blocks" (for example, business and address) but mostly several parameters.

One thought would be to have a INI file. Another would be a hash table at the very beginning that you could edit to put in your requirements. Hate having someone go in and edit the code (even if it is a hashtable) though. Tough call.

How have you, or people you've seen, solved this kind of problem?

by mjolinor at 2013-05-01 13:22:36

Have a look at get-help about_data_sections.

by poshoholic at 2013-05-01 13:30:29

Personal experience: IT admins get csv files better than other files where they could change configuration. I've used different methods of managing/using that information internally, but for external use where you want someone to have file-based access for modifying some configuration that will rarely be changed, csv files is one good way to do so that is pretty easy to do change without breaking something.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.