Author Posts

January 1, 2012 at 12:00 am

by Martin9700 at 2013-05-01 13:14:56

I'm working on rewriting a script I have to allow for more dynamic configuration. This will require quite a few parameters, and while I have no problem using parameters the reality is once you have the ones you like they're not going to change. You'll be running this script from a scheduled task so a lot of parameters in Task Scheduler can also be a little painful.

I'm curious what's the general thoughts on getting a bunch of information into a script? Maybe a few "text blocks" (for example, business and address) but mostly several parameters.

One thought would be to have a INI file. Another would be a hash table at the very beginning that you could edit to put in your requirements. Hate having someone go in and edit the code (even if it is a hashtable) though. Tough call.

How have you, or people you've seen, solved this kind of problem?

by mjolinor at 2013-05-01 13:22:36

Have a look at get-help about_data_sections.

by poshoholic at 2013-05-01 13:30:29

Personal experience: IT admins get csv files better than other files where they could change configuration. I've used different methods of managing/using that information internally, but for external use where you want someone to have file-based access for modifying some configuration that will rarely be changed, csv files is one good way to do so that is pretty easy to do change without breaking something.