insert output of Get-WmiObject -Class “Win32_computersystem” to table

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A insert output of Get-WmiObject -Class “Win32_computersystem” to table

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 2

Hi,

I would like to write the result of

Get-WmiObject -Class "Win32_computersystem" | Format-List -Property *

to a SQL server table.

I have have created a table that matches the output and I had hoped that below code would do the trick.

Get-WmiObject -Class "Win32_computersystem" | Format-List -Property * | Write-SqlTableData -ServerInstance $TargetServerName -DatabaseName $TargetDatabaseName -SchemaName $TargetSchemaName -TableName $TargetTableName -Force

The above code does not perform the insert. I would be grateful for input to achieve what I aim for 🙂

Thanks

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by abodilsen83.
      Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 51
      Helping Hand

Do you get an error?  If so, what is the error?

Just looking at the syntax I would think you don’t want to pipe to Format-List if you are going to pass the objects to pipe the objects to Write-SqlTableData.  Format-List will change the objects to format type objects and is usually used for display on the screen not to pipe to other commands.

Participant

Hi Mike.

If I do not use the | Format-List -Property * I will not get all the output that I am would like. Is there a better way ?

Participant
      Replies: 51
      Helping Hand

By “output you would like”, do you mean what is displayed on the screen?  When you run a command like Get-WmiObject -Class “Win32_computersystem” objects are returned but only select properties are displayed to the screen, but that does not mean other properties are not present.  If you pipe the command to Get-Member you will see all the possible properties.  Format-List * is just a way to display all the properties * in a list format.  In doing so though it is now creating different object types than what was originally returned.  If you run Get-WmiObject -Class “Win32_computersystem” | Get-Member and then run Get-WmiObject -Class “Win32_computersystem” | format-List * | Get-Member you will see the difference.

Participant

Hi Mike.

Thank you for taking your time to explain that part. I have restructered the scriptline and got this now:

Invoke-command -ComputerName $sourceServerName -ScriptBlock {Get-WmiObject -Class "Win32_computersystem" } | Write-SqlTableData -ServerInstance $TargetServerName -DatabaseName $TargetDatabaseName -SchemaName $TargetSchemaName -TableName $TargetTableName -Force

The statement does not fail now but I do not get data into my table.

I was under the impression that a scriptBlock would resturn an object by default but is that not the case ?

Participant
      Topics: 11
      Replies: 1445
      Helping Hand

WMI returns default properties, but there are hidden properties:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-WmiObject -Class "Win32_computersystem"

Domain              : WORKGROUP
      Manufacturer        : LENOVO
      Model               : 81EQ
      Name                : DESKTOP-123456
      PrimaryOwnerName    : Rob
      TotalPhysicalMemory : 17014935552

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-WmiObject -Class "Win32_computersystem"  | Select *

PSComputerName              : DESKTOP-123456
      AdminPasswordStatus         : 0
      BootupState                 : Normal boot
      ChassisBootupState          : 3
      KeyboardPasswordStatus      : 0
      PowerOnPasswordStatus       : 0
      PowerSupplyState            : 3
      PowerState                  : 0
      FrontPanelResetStatus       : 0
      ThermalState                : 3
      Status                      : OK
      Name                        : DESKTOP-123456
      PowerManagementCapabilities : 
      PowerManagementSupported    : 

I’ve not used this cmdlet to write SQL data, but I’m not sure what it would do if you give it more data than the table schema. I would recommend removing the Invoke-Command and using Select-Object to send properties that match your table schema for testing:

Get-WmiObject -Class "Win32_computersystem" | 
      Select-Object -Property Domain,Manufacturer,Model,Name,PrimaryOwnerName,TotalPhysicalMemory |
      Write-SqlTableData -ServerInstance $TargetServerName -DatabaseName $TargetDatabaseName -SchemaName $TargetSchemaName -TableName $TargetTableName -Force

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Rob Simmers.
      Participant
      Replies: 43
      Helping Hand

If you remove -Force do you get any errors?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.