Installing MSI Using DSC Package Resource

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sanj Gaur Sanj Gaur 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Sanj Gaur
    Sanj Gaur
    Participant

Im trying to install a Netbackup msi Client file using the DSC Package Resource with the following code and I get this error on the client:

DSC Engine Error " Error Message Could not find mandatory property DestinationPath. Add this property and try again. Error Code: 6

If I remove the Package NetbackupConfiguration then the remaining code works ok.

Configuration EOCWebApp
    {
     Node $AllNodes.Where {$_.Role -eq "TestWebApp"}.nodename
      {
       # Install Prequisites
       Windowsfeature Backup
        {
         Ensure = 'Present'
         Name = 'Windows-server-Backup'
        }
      Package NetbackupConfiguration
        {
         Ensure = "Present"
         Name = "NetbackupCOnfig"
         Path = "e\packages\NetBackup_7.7.1_Win\PC_Clnt\x64\Symantec Netbackup Client.msi"
         ProductID = "58FF8212-0BBC-434B-8837-2C1B60F7BE90"
       } 
     }

Node $AllNodes.Where{$_.Rode -eq "UATWeb"}.nodename
     {
      # Install Prequisites
      Windowsfeature Backup
       {
        Ensure = 'Present'
        Name = 'Windows-server-Backup'
       }
     }
    }

$MyData =
    #mode code here..

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

That error is being floated up from the installer engine. I'm guessing the package MSI doesn't define a default install path, so unless you can provide one in some other way (perhaps modifying the MSI itself), it can't run. It may also be attempting to access a user-specific path, which won't exist under the LCM's execution context.

Profile photo of Emito
      Emito
      Participant

Maybe the path is wrong?
      Path = "e\packages\NetBackup_7.7.1_Win\PC_Clnt\x64\Symantec Netbackup Client.msi"

Did you try adding two points? to the "e:" , example: ???
      Path = "e:\packages\NetBackup_7.7.1_Win\PC_Clnt\x64\Symantec Netbackup Client.msi"

Profile photo of Sanj Gaur
      Sanj Gaur
      Participant

Emito good catch however I just copied it incorrectly. My actual code has the the colon. Thanks for looking!

Actually the way Netbackup client is designed to install is by using a file called "silentclient.cmd". In this file, there is a line that reads "SET INSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\Veritas\". This is probably what the installer engine that Don is referring to is looking for. But the error reads "Could not find the DestininationPath" so Im not sure if that is the same variable. Then at the bottom of this cmd file, there is a line that reads "setup.exe -s /REALLYLCOAL /RESPFILE:'%RESPFILENAME%' " which actually does the install.

So you would think I could just do path = "e:\packages\NetBackup_7.7.1_Win\PC_Clnt\x64\silentclient.cmd " but that gives me the same error. This is ideal but I wasnt sure if powershell understands .cmd files so thats why I just tried using the msi file. When I try running silentclient.cmd from a powershell command it says it doesnt know what a cmd file is.

The bigger question is should I even use Netbackup. Does Powershell DSC offer a decent bare metal backup solution for VMware backups?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.