Invoke-Command Error Handling

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mark Prior Mark Prior 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I am trying to run a script to query the folders inside "C:\Users" against Active Directory, this in order to delete any folder of a user who is not found in AD. Since I will be running this on ALL servers, I need to run Invoke-Command against a DC in order to query those users, but I am unable to CATCH error messages from within the Scriptblock, into a local file in the computer, this is the code I have so far (I DO get an output when running, I just dont know how to pass that output which is comming from the remote computer, to a text file in the local server where I am running the script):

$RunLocation = "C:\Users"
    $ContLocation = Get-ChildItem -Path $RunLocation
    $ScriptLocation = "C:\Scripts\C_Drive"
    $BaseFile = New-Item (Join-Path $ScriptLocation "Base.txt") -ItemType file -Force
    $SetContent = Set-Content -Path (Join-Path $ScriptLocation "Base.txt") -Value $ContLocation
    $LogFile = New-Item (Join-Path $ScriptLocation "NotFound.txt") -ItemType file -Force
    $Users = gc $BaseFile
    $ScriptBlockCont = {
                    Param($RemoteUsers=$Users)
                    try 
                    {
                        Import-Module activedirectory
                        $NoOut = Get-ADUser $RemoteUsers | Select-Object Name,Samaccountname,Enabled,distinguishedname
                    }
                    catch
                    {
                        $ErrorOut = Write-Host "$RemoteUsers"
                     }
    }

$l = 0
    Get-Content $BaseFile | ForEach {
                Invoke-Command -ComputerName LAB-DC-01.LAB.COM -ScriptBlock $ScriptBlockCont -ArgumentList @($Users[$l])
                $l = $l + 1
    }

Please help me

Profile photo of Tim Pringle
    Tim Pringle
    Participant

Hey Juan,

If you prefix the Invoke-Command with a variable assignment, and make sure the script within the scriptblock produces output, you can do this.

e.g.

$x = Invoke-Command -ComputerName comp1 -ScriptBlock {
    1+1
    }

Would set $x to 2.

Profile photo of Mark Prior
    Mark Prior
    Participant

great explanation above, it took me an age to find any sort of ledgable answer to this elsewhere

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.