Invoke-Command + Get-ChildItem = Output?

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Invoke-Command + Get-ChildItem = Output?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 5
      Replies: 9

Hello!

I have a script that used Start-Job to start Get-ChildItem script. For reasons that are too long to get into, I wanted to try this methodology with Invoke-Command instead!

The command looks like this:

However, instead of $a containing the output for the Get-Childitem command ( a list of executables), it instead contains the output for the job!

What am I doing wrong?
      I have attempted to use Receive-Job but have had no success yet. This is the error I get when I try to receive-job

Thanks ahead of time!

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by izShell57.
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by grokkit.
      Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 81
      Helping Hand

If you want the output of the remote command to be stored in $a, don’t use the -AsJob switch. If you continue to use a job, then once $a shows a State other than Running, you can use $a | Receive-Job for the output. Access denied errors could be a number of things. I’d make sure the account running Invoke-Command has access to perform the remote command as if it were running the command locally on the target system. Admin elevation may be required in the shell as well.

js
      Participant
      Topics: 32
      Replies: 842
      Helping Hand

Here’s an example. In powershell 7 it comes out blank though, lol. For this example, the prompt has to be elevated.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.