Invoke-Command issued to multiple remote computer

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Bob Rains
    Bob Rains
    Participant

I am trying to issue an Invoke-Command simultaneously to several computers. I am reading the names of the computers from a .txt file. My issue is this. Invoke-Command will take multiple computer names as the -cn parameter. If I issue the command: Invoke-Command -cn server1, server2 =scriptblock {xxx} interactively, it works fine, however when I try to read the list of computers from the .txt file (in the form of: server1, server2) the -cn parameter is a concatenation of all the server names into one. I've tried using a .split(",") when I read the file and that splits the names, but then my code issues the command for one at a time instead of simultaneously. Here is my code:

$computers = (gc C:\psscripts\IMM_Patch_Install\computers.txt).split(",")

foreach ($computer in $computers) {
    if (test-Connection -cn $computer -quiet) {
    invoke-command -cn $computer -scriptblock {c:; cd \IMM2_Patch; cmd /c uxspi up -e all -i ibm_fw_imm2_1aoo56d-3.73_anyos_noarch -s all -u –ignore-req –latest –update-args="IMM: –backup –no-reboot"}
    invoke-command -cn $computer -scriptblock {c:; cd \IMM2_Patch; cmd /c uxspi up -e all -i ibm_fw_imm2_1aoo56d-3.73_anyos_noarch -s all -u –ignore-req –latest}
    $completed = get-date
    Echo "IMM update to $computer completed successfully on $completed" >> C:\PSscripts\IMM_Patch_Install\completed.txt
    } else {
    $completed = get-date
    Echo "IMM update to $computer failed on $completed" >> C:\PSscripts\IMM_Patch_Install\completed.txt
    }

}

My .txt file looks like this:
    server1,server2,server3,server4
    server5,server6,server7,server8

So what I need is to read the file and have the Invoke-Command issued to all computers on one line simultaneously. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Bob

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

You could do something like this:

$computers = Get-Content .\computers.txt |
                 ForEach-Object { $_ -split ',' }

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $computers -ScriptBlock { Do-Stuff }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.