Invoke-Command to Local Variable

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of carl trevett carl trevett 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of carl trevett
    carl trevett
    Participant

Hi

New to PowerShell, I was wondering when using Invoke-command against a number of machines is there away to return the data back to a variable on the local session? I get when a need to bring a variable from the local machine to the remote session you need to use param with -argumentlist but don't get it vice versa.

Thanks
    Carl

Profile photo of Craig Duff
    Craig Duff
    Participant
    $data = Invoke-Command -ComputerName compy -ScriptBlock {Get-ChildItem c:\}

Just a simple assignment, excepting that the $data will have extra properties that invoke-command adds in. One of those properties is the computer name, so that is what you can use to filter out the results per the computer that returned them. $data will hold the results of all computers it is ran against.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Craig Duff Craig Duff.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Craig Duff Craig Duff.
    carl trevett
    Participant

this works local for one machine

$Groups = get-pvsauthgroup

Foreach ($Group in $Groups.AuthGroupName) {

$PVSGroup = get-pvsauthgroup -AuthGroupName $Group | Select-Object AuthGroupName, Description

$PVSGroupUsage = Get-PvsAuthGroup -AuthGroupName $Group | Get-PvsAuthGroupUsage | Select-Object Name, Role

$PVSSite = Get-PVSSite | Select-Object SiteName

$Props = [ordered]@{'PVS Site'=$PVSSite.SiteName;
    'AuthGroupName'=$PVSGroup.AuthGroupName;
    'Description'=$PVSGroup.Description;
    'Permission'=$PVSGroupUsage.Name;
    'Role'=$PVSGroupUsage.Role

}
    $obj = New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $Props
    $array += $obj
    }
    $array

$Array = @()
    Foreach ($PVServer in $PVServers.name) { Invoke-Command -Computername $PVSServer -ScriptBlock {
    Import-Module 'C:\Program Files\Citrix\Provisioning Services Console\Citrix.PVS.SnapIn.dll'

$Groups = get-pvsauthgroup
    Foreach ($Group in $Groups.AuthGroupName) {
    $PVSGroup = get-pvsauthgroup -AuthGroupName $Group | Select-Object AuthGroupName, Description
    $PVSGroupUsage = Get-PvsAuthGroup -AuthGroupName $Group | Get-PvsAuthGroupUsage | Select-Object Name, Role
    $Props = [ordered]@{'PVS Site'=$PVSSite.SiteName;
    'AuthGroupName'=$PVSGroup.AuthGroupName;
    'Description'=$PVSGroup.Description;
    'Permission'=$PVSGroupUsage.Name;
    'Role'=$PVSGroupUsage.Role
    }
    $obj = New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $Props
    $array += $obj
    }}}

Craig Duff
      Participant
      $Array =  Invoke-Command -Computername $PVSServers.name -ScriptBlock {
      #...
      New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $Props
      }#...

You are not going to be able to reference the memory space on the local computer from the remote, you'll have to catch the returned values.

carl trevett
    Participant

sorry...not sure I understand, have you given me something to try or are you saying its not possible? sorry little confused.

Craig Duff
      Participant

Its not possible the way you are trying it, because $array is in the memory of the local computer and the remote computer can't access $array. So,

$obj = New-Object #...
      $array += $obj

cannot work.

You have to modify the script block to return a value, hence my examples change of not assigning the result of New-Object to $obj and just having New-Object by itself. Then on the local computer side, assigning the results to a variable. My example was something to try with everything I didn't change commented out so to highlight my suggested changes.

carl trevett
    Participant

Thank you so much Craig..it worked 🙂

Now to get it into HTML...

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.