invoke-command vs. enter-pssession

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Prior 8 months ago.

• Author

Matt Angelo
    Participant

When I use invoke-command to start a Dell bios config .exe on a remote machine the exe starts but does not complete the job until I log onto the computer with an Admin acct. If I enter-pssession and start the same exe it completes thoroughly. Any ideas?

Don Jones
    Keymaster

It is likely failing because the installer requires an active profile to run the executable, which is not what you get when you run Invoke-Command. It's a poorly made installer, in other words; unless you can repackage it somehow, there's not really a workaround.

Matt Angelo
    Participant

Thank you so much for the insight Don.

Daniel Krebs

If you're on Windows 8/2012 or later, you could create a temporary scheduled task to run the bios config command. As alternative if you're configuring a desktop or laptop you could try to use the Dell BIOS PowerShell module which you can download from their homepage.

Mark Prior
    Participant

im guessing it will be using local non admin creds to run the invoke command

try this

$Username = "Domain\Username
    	$Password = ConvertTo-SecureString "Passwordgoeshere" -AsPlainText -Force
    	$cred = new-object -typename System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -argumentlist $username, $password

Invoke-Command -Credential $creds {

Do Stuff here 

}

Mark Prior
    Participant

It will be running as local machine user rather than with your admin creds

$Username = "domain\username"
    $Password = ConvertTo-SecureString "password goes here" -AsPlainText -Force
    $cred = new-object -typename System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -argumentlist $username, $password

invoke-command -credential $cred {

Do Stuff Here

}

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.