DBATools: Invoke-DbaDbMirroring – prompting for credentials

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A DBATools: Invoke-DbaDbMirroring – prompting for credentials

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 3
      Replies: 2

I have been regularly using a Powershell script I wrote some time ago that sets up database mirroring and it works fine but I am interested to try out the Invoke-DbaDbMirroring cmdlet.    However, the problem is that it prompts for the password for the mirroring Logins even though I haven’t specified the PrimarySqlCredential or MirrorSqlCredential params.

This is on a pair of servers on which mirroring has already been setup and the Endpoints have been created, etc.  In my existing powershell script that does not use  Invoke-DbaDbMirroring, all it does to start database mirroring after the usual db and log backup and restores is to issue the ALTER DATABASE [myDB] SET PARTNER = ‘TCP:….’ command and it works.  Same if I do it all manually via T-SQL.  I never have to be concerned with the passwords for the SQL Login on Primary or Mirror.

$PrimaryServer = “SQL01”
      $MirrorServer = “SQL02”
      $dbName = “MyDB”

Invoke-DbaDbMirroring -Primary $PrimaryServer -Mirror $MirrorServer -Database $dbName -SharedPath “\\$MirrorServer\BackupsForMirroring” -Confirm:$false

Any ideas what the issue is?  I don’t believe I should be prompted for the passwords.

thanks in advance.

Participant
      Topics: 3
      Replies: 2

Some more info… The password prompts twice.  It just states on the ‘Windows PowerShell ISE – Input’ dialogue, ‘Enter a new password for the SQL Server Login(s).

It doesn’t say anything about what the Login name it thinks it is.   I can enter any new passwords and the process completes – mirroring for the specified databse is setup successfully.  If I manually stop database mirroring for the same database and re-run Invoke-dbaDbMirroring again, it just prompts for two new passwords again.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.