Is Get-WindowsFeature deprecated?

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Is Get-WindowsFeature deprecated?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Participant

I'm trying to run a remote call to servers using Get-WindowsFeature and everything I see via Google searches shows that Get-WindowsFeature has a -computerName parameter, yet on my WMF 5.1 2008 R2 utility server, I only see a -Name parameter and that's for the Role or feature I want information on.

NAME
        Get-WindowsFeature

SYNOPSIS
        The Get-WindowsFeature cmdlet allows you to retrieve information about 
        roles, role services, and features that are available on a computer that 
        is running Windows Server 2008 R2.

SYNTAX
        Get-WindowsFeature [[-Name] ] [-logPath ] []

Not terribly useful is a local return:

Get-WindowsFeature -Name Web-Ftp-Server

Display Name                                            Name                   
    ------------                                            ----                   
        [ ] FTP Server                                      Web-Ftp-Server

I was hoping to perhaps run Invoke-Command with this cmdlet to glean info on what's installed on rmeote servers.

Alternately, I was thinking if I had a local text file that had listed the following Roles or features:

Web-Ftp-Server
    Web-Ftp-Service
    Web-Ftp-Ext

...if it could read from my utility server, then essentially query for those Feature Roles on my array of remote computers then return TRUE/FALSE.

This sounds tremendously useful but if the Cmdlet doesn't exist yet, is there another way?

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

It's not deprecated, but it's changed over time. You can certainly use it with Invoke-Command. Note that the default “checkbox” display is just a display thing – the output is object-based, not text-based. If you pipe it to “Format-List -Prop *”, for example, you'll get the “raw” output. One of the output properties is a True/False one that showed if it's installed or not.

Participant

ok so this then, right?

Get-WindowsFeature -Name Web-Ftp-Server | fl -Property Installed,Name,SubFeatures

Installed   : False
      Name        : Web-Ftp-Server
      SubFeatures : {Web-Ftp-Service, Web-Ftp-Ext}

Will test it with invoke-command thanks Don

[update]

ok I have this:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName DCS001.corp.com {
          Get-WindowsFeature -Name Web-Ftp-Server | fl -Property Installed,Name,SubFeatures
      }

...but get the error "The term 'Get-WindowsFeature' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet".

I must be misunderstanding remoting even though I've read the freebie "Secrets to Powershell remoting"

I thought that if I had my Utility server with the latest PS cmdlets, I could leverage any of them to query against any server in the domain regardless if those remote servers only had PS 2.0 installed. Is this a mistaken assumption?

If so, then I'd have to update WMF on hundreds of server to get this kind of information about what's installed on a remote server for example.

Participant

Don,

What I don't understand is that on MS site for Get-WindowsFeature here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/servermanager/get-windowsfeature?view=winserver2012r2-ps

...it lists [-ComputerName ] as a parameter, yet I have WMF 5.1 installed and do not get that parameter.

SYNTAX
          Get-WindowsFeature [[-Name] ] [-logPath ] []

Who is out of date?

Participant

Try Import-Module ServerManager on the remote machine.

Participant

Richard,

this does return data:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName dcs006,dcs007,dcs001,dcs002 {
      }

But I can't tell which host has what:

..how would I populate the PSComputerName in the results?

Participant

Richard,

So the remote DC is running PS 2.0 and you're right, servermanager wasn't loaded, so I imported that module on the remote DC, confirmed it can run Get-WindowsFeature, then I go back to my scripting host and run your revised snippet and it still fails for those 2 DC's.

The term 'Get-WindowsFeature' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet

[ ed. This was addressed in another thread on how to use Import-Module ServerManager in an Invoke-Command statement]

Participant

Jeff,

This will show the PSComputerName property in the results:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName dcs006,dcs007,dcs001,dcs002 {
        Get-WindowsFeature -Name Web-Ftp-Server | select-property PSComputerName,Installed,Name,Subfeatures 
    } 

Pipe your scriptblock command to select-property instead of fl. Then, add PSComputerName to the list of properties you want displayed.

Participant

Nice, that worked thank you. What wasn't intuitive to me was that the NoteProperty (PSComputerName) is found outside the curly braces, part of the Invoke-command cmdlet.

yet, the select -property is piped from the Get-WindowsFeature cmdlet inside the curly braces.

How is it that the parent NoteProperty can be selected/outputted inside the braces?

The topic ‘Is Get-WindowsFeature deprecated?’ is closed to new replies.