Is There A 'Preferred Hotel' To Book At For Summit NA?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jonas Sommer Nielsen Jonas Sommer Nielsen 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Will Anderson
    Will Anderson
    Keymaster

I'm just looking over the hotels around the Microsoft Offices in Charlotte and was wondering if there was a preferred hotel that it would be smart to book at?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Everyone's been a little all over the place. I think I'm actually staying more downtown so that there are more places nearby to eat/drink. There's no official hotel, and I imagine everyone will end up with a car (unless there's some carpooling going on; if someone starts a thread I'll alert attendees), so it's kinda "whatever."

Profile photo of Stephen Owen
    Stephen Owen
    Participant

When I stay in Charlotte, I prefer to stay downtown as well. The Hilton Charlotte Center is walking distance to a LOT of places. And you get free access to the very nice YMCA gym, which is attached via a bridge.

Charlotte is very cool, because so many of the buildings are linked to each other via plazas, massive food courts and tunnels. Downtown Charlotte rules!

Will Anderson
    Keymaster

Yeah. I'm leaning towards either the Hyatt or Hilton. Anyone planning on getting in early? If there's plenty to do, I might head in on Saturday and take in the sights. I've never been outside of the airport in Charlotte.

Profile photo of Tim Pringle
    Tim Pringle
    Participant

Seems there's a reasonable beer scene in NC.

[url]http://www.charlottebeer.com/charlotte-breweries/[/url]
    [url]http://www.sycamorebrew.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.brewscruisecharlotte.com/[/url]

Also about 7 Irish bars. Must be able to get a good pint of Guinness in one of them..

Does make arriving earlier a somewhat refreshing idea. 🙂

Will Anderson
    Keymaster

I like how you think sir! I could do a bit of Guinness and some corned beef with cabbage! 😀

Also, I can bring my monster camera if you guys want pictures. I actually got a larger camera than the one I had at TechMentor. 😛

Profile photo of Warren Frame
    Warren Frame
    Participant

I ended up booking a room at the Homewood Suites Charlotte/Ayrsley. Hopefully this means a little more time for coffee in the AM : )

Profile photo of Tim Bolton
    Tim Bolton
    Participant

This came up again today. Do we stay close to the campus or downtown? We do not want to fight traffic but would like to be able to meet up after hours as well.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

There's no official hotel. The only official event will be at the office. Unofficial events will likely be downtown, for whoever feels like going together. I plan to stay downtown. You sound like a helicopter would solve everything.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

BTW, given ~150 attendees, it is likely we will have a range of attitudes and preferences with regard to "downtown" vs. "not downtown." I expect that, no matter where you choose to stay, you will have company nearby. And, that helicopter option would make a workable plan for hanging out with whichever group you prefer. You can also pick me up in the mornings.

ME, I prefer the variety a downtown area offers vs. the "office 'burbs." Plus, better gym selections. But that's me – I know for a fact there are attendees with the exact opposite attitude. Which is largely why we didn't book a hotel room block – because half of the attendees wouldn't want to stay in it, no matter where we picked.

Profile photo of Tim Bolton
    Tim Bolton
    Participant

Checking on the helicopter, probably not doable. I mean, this isn't Vegas. : )

This should pretty much cover the topic for anyone that is asking the same question. I will pass this all along so that we can decide.

Thanks Don!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hi 🙂

Let me know if you find a helicopter... I might borrow it for sleeping. Trying to keep it low key 😉
    Me and my girlfriend quit our jobs, sold all our stuff to go travel the world. Coming from Denmark, and currently Japan, the travel will be a bit expensive for us. So we will try to keep it cheap. We will be looking for airbnb/couch surfing/motel near by. Any ideas for cheap accommodation are greatly appreciated 🙂

Also looking forward to meeting everyone. The old boss would NEVER let me go, but now I'm in control 😀

/Jonas

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.