is there a way to add -credentials as a common param to my scripts ?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Bourque Brian Bourque 2 years ago.

• Author

Hello,
    I am curious if it is possible is there a way to add -credentials as a common param to my scripts ?
    I looked at the common param from tech net but it does not list -credentials as a option.
    what I am trying to do is basically ad a run as prompt ( for lack of a batter term) to my scripts.
    thanks for the help.

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Hi Brian,

It is not a common parameter because not every script or function requires credentials but you can easily add the -Credential parameter if needed.

Param
    (
        [Parameter(Mandatory = $true)]
        [String] $ComputerName,

[PSCredential] $Credential
    )

Connect-Server -Credential $Credential

Best,
    Daniel

Profile photo of Matt McNabb
    Matt McNabb
    Participant

The problem with the [PSCredential] type accelerator is that this will force the parameter to only accept a credential object as it's value. In the interest of flexibility there is actually a credential parameter attribute you can use. This way you can either accept a credential object or a string as the argument to the parameter. If a string is specified the user is prompted for the password:

Param
    (
        [String]
        $ComputerName,

[System.Management.Automation.Credential()]
        $Credential
    ) 

Usage:

Connect-Server -Credential $Credential

Or:

Connect-Server -Credential username

Daniel & Matt,
    Thank you both for your responses, however neither solution was able to meet my needs. Maybe some more details is needed.
    I am trying to make it so my scripts can be run from a powershell session but still allow you to input a privileged access accounts when running a script.
    I know I can do with the sysinternals Shellrunas.exe but I would much rather do it within powershell.
    when I tried the scripts above I was not able to run my script with an elevated account.
    to test it I loaded a PS session with my normal account and then Tried both methods from with in my script ( which was a simple check for services script that i knew would not work with my normal account as we disable PSremoting for normal users)
    I did try several times to make sure I did not mistype my user name or password.
    Is what I am asking for possible within powershell 2.0?

Update
    actually i figured it out.

#Lose example but you get the Idea
    Function Get-servicesRemote{

[CmdletBinding()]

Param
    (
    [String]
    $ComputerName,

[System.Management.Automation.Credential()]
    $Credential
    )

invoke-comand -computername $computername -scriptblock{get-service} -Credential $Credential

#Thank you Matt and Daniel for helping to get me in the right direction

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.