Issue with the code need help

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sam Boutros 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Windows LiveUser175
    Participant

I have the below mentioned code. I pass the database name as a parameter.
    Param
    (
    [Parameter(Mandatory = $true)] [String] $dbname
    )
    Import-Module SQLPS -DisableNameChecking
    $networkshare = '\\Domain\Test'
    $dbfilebackup = $networkshare + $DBName + '.bak'
    $dblogbackup = $networkshare + $DBName + '.trn'
    $sqlaogroup = Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance 'TestSQL,1433' -Database 'TestDB' -Query "SELECT @@servername;"
    $sqlprimary = Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance 'TestSQL,1433' -Database 'TestDB' -Query "SELECT @@servername;"
    $sqlsecondary = Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance 'TestSQL,1433' -Database 'TestDB' -Query "SELECT @@servername;"
    $sqlstringprimary = 'SQLSERVER:\SQL\' + $sqlprimary + '\DEFAULT\AvailabilityGroups\' + $sqlaogroup
    $sqlstringsecondary = 'SQLSERVER:\SQL\' + $sqlsecondary + '\DEFAULT\AvailabilityGroups\' + $sqlaogroup
    Backup-SqlDatabase -Database $DBName -BackupFile $dbfilebackup -ServerInstance $sqlprimary
    Restore-SqlDatabase -Database $DBName -BackupFile $dbfilebackup -ServerInstance $sqlsecondary -NoRecovery
    Backup-SqlDatabase -Database $DBName -BackupFile $dblogbackup -ServerInstance $sqlprimary -BackupAction Log
    Restore-SqlDatabase -Database $DBName -BackupFile $dblogbackup -ServerInstance $sqlsecondary -RestoreAction Log -NoRecovery
    Add-SqlAvailabilityDatabase -Path $sqlstringprimary -Database $DBName
    Add-SqlAvailabilityDatabase -Path $sqlstringsecondary -Database $DBName

I am getting the below mentioned error message. Can you help me please in fixing the code.

I believe $sqlstringprimary and $sqlstringsecondary is not getting loaded properly because of $sqlprimary and $sqlsecondary

PS D:\> .\Test.ps1 Test3
    Backup-SqlDatabase : Failed to connect to server System.Data.DataRow.
    At D:\Test.ps1:14 char:1
    + Backup-SqlDatabase -Database $DBName -BackupFile $dbfilebackup -ServerInstance $ ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Backup-SqlDatabase], ConnectionFailureException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionFailureException,Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PowerShell.BackupSqlDatabaseCommand

Restore-SqlDatabase : Failed to connect to server System.Data.DataRow.
    At D:\Test.ps1:15 char:1
    + Restore-SqlDatabase -Database $DBName -BackupFile $dbfilebackup -ServerInstance ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Restore-SqlDatabase], ConnectionFailureException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionFailureException,Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PowerShell.RestoreSqlDatabaseCommand

Backup-SqlDatabase : Failed to connect to server System.Data.DataRow.
    At D:\Test.ps1:16 char:1
    + Backup-SqlDatabase -Database $DBName -BackupFile $dblogbackup -ServerInstance $s ...
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Backup-SqlDatabase], ConnectionFailureException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionFailureException,Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PowerShell.BackupSqlDatabaseCommand

Restore-SqlDatabase : Failed to connect to server System.Data.DataRow.
    At D:\Test.ps1:17 char:1
    + Restore-SqlDatabase -Database $DBName -BackupFile $dblogbackup -ServerInstance $ ...
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Restore-SqlDatabase], ConnectionFailureException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionFailureException,Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PowerShell.RestoreSqlDatabaseCommand

Allen Ryerson
    Participant

Hello!

Whats your end goal? Are you just whipping something up to backup your SQL database?

Windows LiveUser175
    Participant

I need to add my database dynamically to the code by passing it on a parameter. If i hard cord it it works fine. When I make the code as dynamic it is failing . That is my final goal. I wrote the code with the logic. Syntax is wrong in this for the dynamic code.

Allen Ryerson
      Participant

Ah I see where you are getting at. I have a script that backups my production SQL databases. I am not in a position to test at the moment but I modified that script into a function (sorry the formatting is sloppy). Let me know if this works for you, I'll test if I don't hear back from you on Monday

Function Backup-SQL {

[CmdletBinding()]
      param
      (
      [parameter(position=3)]
      $Instance,
      [parameter(position=2)]
      $Database,
      [Parameter(position=1)]
      $BackupPath,
      [Parameter(position=0)]
      $Logfile
      )

$timestamp = Get-Date -format yyyy-MM-dd
      $debugPreference = "Continue"

Start-Transcript -Path $logfile

Write-verbose "Beginning the SQL database backup procedure"

Try
      {
      Backup-SqlDatabase -ServerInstance $instance -Database $Database -BackupFile $BackupPath -ErrorAction Stop

}

Catch
      {
      Write-Error "Something went wrong! Check the logfile to see what happened"
      }

}

Sam Boutros
    Participant

Windows LiveUser175
    Participant

I need to get this statement working

First the statements $sqlaogroup , $sqlprimary and $sqlsecondary needs to be built.

Then $sqlstringprimary and $sqlstringsecondary needs to be loaded. Once it is done i need to backup and restore the databases and then add it to the availability group.

Backup of the databases is not my goal.

The script which you had given me is not helping in going ahead to acheive my goal.

Thank You for giving me the reference link.

Sam Boutros
    Participant

These 3 lines

$sqlaogroup = Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance 'TestSQL,1433' -Database 'TestDB' -Query "SELECT @@servername;"
    $sqlprimary = Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance 'TestSQL,1433' -Database 'TestDB' -Query "SELECT @@servername;"
    $sqlsecondary = Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance 'TestSQL,1433' -Database 'TestDB' -Query "SELECT @@servername;"

return a PS object. If you just need the server name use:

$sqlaogroup = (Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance 'TestSQL,1433' -Database 'TestDB' -Query "SELECT @@servername;").column1
    $sqlprimary = (Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance 'TestSQL,1433' -Database 'TestDB' -Query "SELECT @@servername;").column1
    $sqlsecondary = (Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance 'TestSQL,1433' -Database 'TestDB' -Query "SELECT @@servername;").column1

Windows LiveUser175
    Participant

I got the code working. It is good now.

Windows LiveUser175
    Participant

Thank You for helping me.

Sam Boutros
    Participant

You're welcome

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.