Author Posts

July 14, 2017 at 7:32 pm

I have been watching some of MVA Videos Getting Started with MS power shell. I am trying to write custom help but is not working. as far as I understand it should be as simple as

I even tried copying something and that worked. but then I tried to change it stopped working and I changed it back and it still did not work
.Example
./hello.ps1 and that worked then I changed >/hello.ps1 to "whatever" example did not show up again and when I changed it back it still did not work.
I figure it is some small thing I am missing that when I find out what it is I am going be like wow.
I am using powershell 5.1. did any of this change from version 3.

I will appreciate any help please

July 14, 2017 at 7:35 pm

If you're referring to comment-based help, it's definitely not hard. However, keep in mind that you can't paste XML and some other code here – you need to use a Gist, as indicated in the posting instructions.

Comment-based help is very picky indeed, and you may have simply misspelled something. If you could create a Gist with what you're attempting, and paste the Gist link here, I'd be happy to take a look.

July 14, 2017 at 7:36 pm

You can also try pasting your code here, but tag it as code – again, as indicated in the instructions above the reply text box, using PRE tags.

Finally, as a suggestion for getting better responses, consider a more meaningful subject when you post. "Just not working for me" doesn't tell us much about the problem, and many people will simply ignore the post. A subject like, "comment-based help problem" much more clearly describes the problem, so that people familiar with that topic know to jump in and help.

July 14, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Don,
Thank you, I really appreciate the advice, I have never really post before so I am somewhat new at it.
As you suggested I am posting the code I am using.
This is just a simple script to get the BIOS version of a remote computer. I am trying to just do some simple scripts/modules to get the hang of writing them and I think part of writing a good script/module would include comments and help.

function Get-BIOSVersion
{
param(
    [Parameter(Mandatory=$True, Position=1)]
    [string[]]$ComputerName
)
Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $ComputerName -class win32_Bios

}

I believe there is an issue with the param computername as well.
As you can see I am very new at this and I am thinking it just missing something small.

Thank you again for your help

July 15, 2017 at 1:35 am

Hi Matthew,

I'm going to guess here, but, I'll bet that you get NOTHING when you run your script (for illustration purposes say you saved the code you posted as Get-BIOSVersion.ps1), if that's the case, yes, you will get NOTHING because you have a function in there, but if you only save this code:

param(
    [Parameter(Mandatory=$True, Position=1)]
    [string[]]$ComputerName
)
Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $ComputerName -class win32_Bios

Then it will work.

For more info check THIS VIDEO it will help you understand what's going on.