Keep getting prompted to enter my credential (3 to 5 times)

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Keep getting prompted to enter my credential (3 to 5 times)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Participant
    #Get login credentials 
    $UserCredential = Get-Credential 
    $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://ps.compliance.protection.outlook.com/powershell-liveid -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection 
    Import-PSSession $Session -AllowClobber -DisableNameChecking 
    $Host.UI.RawUI.WindowTitle = $UserCredential.UserName + " (Office 365 Security & Compliance Center)"

#script begin
    " " 
    write-host "***********************************************"
    write-host "   Office 365 Security & Compliance Center   " -foregroundColor yellow -backgroundcolor darkgreen
    write-host "        eDiscovery cases - Holds report         " -foregroundColor yellow -backgroundcolor darkgreen 
    write-host "***********************************************"
    " " 

#prompt users to specify a path to store the output files
    $time=get-date
    $Path = Read-Host 'Enter a file path to save the report to a .csv file'
    $outputpath=$Path+'\'+'CaseHoldsReport'+' '+$time.day+'-'+$time.month+'-'+$time.year+' '+$time.hour+'.'+$time.minute+'.csv'

#add case details to the csv file

function add-tocasereport{
    Param([string]$casename,
    [String]$casestatus,
    [datetime]$casecreatedtime,
    [string]$casemembers,
    [datetime]$caseClosedDateTime,
    [string]$caseclosedby,
    [string]$holdname,
    [String]$Holdenabled,
    [string]$holdcreatedby,
    [string]$holdlastmodifiedby,
    [string]$ExchangeLocation,
    [string]$sharePointlocation,
    [string]$ContentMatchQuery,
    [datetime]$holdcreatedtime,
    [datetime]$holdchangedtime
    )
    $addRow = New-Object PSObject 
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Case name" -Value $casename
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Case status" -Value $casestatus
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Case members" -Value $casemembers
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Case created time" -Value $casecreatedtime
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Case closed time" -Value $caseClosedDateTime
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Case closed by" -Value $caseclosedby
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Hold name" -Value $holdname
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Hold enabled" -Value $Holdenabled
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Hold created by" -Value $holdcreatedby
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Hold last changed by" -Value $holdlastmodifiedby
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Exchange locations" -Value  $ExchangeLocation
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "SharePoint locations" -Value $sharePointlocation
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Hold query" -Value $ContentMatchQuery
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Hold created time (UTC)" -Value $holdcreatedtime
    Add-Member -InputObject $addRow -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Hold changed time (UTC)" -Value $holdchangedtime

$allholdreport = $addRow | Select-Object "Case name","Case status","Hold name","Hold enabled","Case members", "Case created time","Case closed time","Case closed by","Exchange locations","SharePoint locations","Hold query","Hold created by","Hold created time (UTC)","Hold last changed by","Hold changed time (UTC)"

$allholdreport | export-csv -path $outputPath -notypeinfo -append -Encoding ascii 
    }

#get information on the cases and pass values to the case report function

" "
    write-host "Gathering a list of cases and holds..."
    " "
    $edc =Get-ComplianceCase -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
    foreach($cc in $edc)
    {
    write-host "Working on case :" $cc.name
    if($cc.status -eq 'Closed')
    {
    $cmembers = ((Get-ComplianceCaseMember -Case $cc.name).windowsLiveID)-join ';'
    add-tocasereport -casename $cc.name -casestatus $cc.Status -caseclosedby $cc.closedby -caseClosedDateTime $cc.ClosedDateTime -casemembers $cmembers 
    }
    else{
    $cmembers = ((Get-ComplianceCaseMember -Case $cc.name).windowsLiveID)-join ';'
    $policies = Get-CaseHoldPolicy -Case $cc.Name | %{ Get-CaseHoldPolicy $_.Name -Case $_.CaseId -DistributionDetail}
    foreach ($policy in $policies)
    {
    $rule=Get-CaseHoldRule -Policy $policy.name
    add-tocasereport -casename $cc.name -casemembers $cmembers -casestatus $cc.Status -casecreatedtime $cc.CreatedDateTime -holdname $policy.name -holdenabled $policy.enabled -holdcreatedby $policy.CreatedBy -holdlastmodifiedby $policy.LastModifiedBy -ExchangeLocation (($policy.exchangelocation.name)-join ';') -SharePointLocation (($policy.sharePointlocation.name)-join ';') -ContentMatchQuery $rule.ContentMatchQuery -holdcreatedtime $policy.WhenCreatedUTC -holdchangedtime $policy.WhenChangedUTC
    }
    }
    }
    " "
    Write-host "Script complete! Report file: '$outputPath'"
    " "
    #script end

Participant

replace line 2 with:

Install-Module AZSBTools
    $UserCredential = Get-SBCredential -UserName 'domain\user'

requires PowerShell version 5
    replace 'domain\user' with desired user name

Participant

I ran above script every morning manually. I connect to Microsoft OK. I enter a period to save the file to local computer OK. The scripts start running OK then ask for my credential again and kicks few errors. I enter my credential again and it continues doing the same. After few times login finally finished and exports the .CSV file.

I need to make this script automatic as schedule task and email a group. I fixed the secure connecting to Microsoft. I got rid of entering a period by giving it a path. But I have not been able to fix the credential prompt entering my password. I opened a case with Microsoft and they have not been able to help.

the error I get is:
    Starting a command on the remote server failed with the following error message : The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request. For
    more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
    + CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (nam03b.ps.compl...ion.outlook.com:String) [], PSRemotingTransportException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : JobFailure
    + PSComputerName : nam03b.ps.compliance.protection.outlook.com

Starting a command on the remote server failed with the following error message : The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request. For
    + CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (nam03b.ps.compl...ion.outlook.com:String) [], PSRemotingTransportException

Thank you!

Participant

Sam, I used this link to setup secure login for this script:

How to Connect to Office 365 using PowerShell script + using saved encrypted user credentials

Also what is inside Module AZSBTools ?

Above eDiscovery Case script is from this Microsoft link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/create-a-report-on-holds-in-ediscovery-cases .

I need to resolve below error which I have spent lots of time with no lock.  Microsoft tech is saying they are not getting prompted to put their password in several times like I do.  They say it may have to do with our network!  Here is the error again:

+ PSComputerName : nam03b.ps.compliance.protection.outlook.comStarting a command on the remote server failed with the following error message : The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request. For

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.