LCM failed to retrieve the property PendingJobStep

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alexandr Marchenko Alexandr Marchenko 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Alexandr Marchenko
    Alexandr Marchenko

Hi guys I have encountered a problem that seems to be something that google do not know about yet đŸ™‚ hope for your help

I have HelloWorldDSC.ps1 file on my desktop, and trying to run (F5) it from ISE as Administrator.

In response I got following error:

LCM failed to retrieve the property PendingJobStep from the object of class dscInternalCache.

Here is script contents (its just a simple copy paste from getting started resources):

Configuration HelloWorldDSC
        Import-DscResource –ModuleName PSDesiredStateConfiguration
        Node localhost
            File SampleFile {
                Ensure = 'Present'
                DestinationPath = 'C:\HelloWorld.txt'
                Contents = "Hello World!"
            Environment SampleEnvironmentVariable
                Ensure = 'Present'
                Name = 'HelloFromDSC'
                Value = 'Hello World'
    Start-DscConfiguration -Wait -Verbose -Path .\HelloWorldDSC

And here is full output:

PS C:\Users\Alexandr\Desktop> C:\Users\Alexandr\Desktop\HelloWorldDSC.ps1
        Directory: C:\Users\Alexandr\Desktop\HelloWorldDSC
    Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name                                                                    
    ----                -------------         ------ ----                                                                    
    -a----       18.11.2015     15:17           2866 localhost.mof                                                           
    VERBOSE: Perform operation 'Invoke CimMethod' with following parameters, ''methodName' = SendConfigurationApply,'className
    ' = MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager,'namespaceName' = root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration'.
    VERBOSE: An LCM method call arrived from computer MAC with user sid S-1-5-21-1387981107-4004572697-3743767158-1001.
    LCM failed to retrieve the property PendingJobStep from the object of class dscInternalCache .
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 6
        + PSComputerName        : localhost
    VERBOSE: Operation 'Invoke CimMethod' complete.
    VERBOSE: Time taken for configuration job to complete is 0.048 seconds

Just can not understand from where to get started investigating issue, what I also have tried without success is to delete files from C:\Windows\System32\Configuration folder.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

Get the DSCDiagnostics module and start a DSC trace. Then, try again – you should get more verbose logging. Also, it'd be helpful to know what versions of everything you're running.

Alexandr Marchenko

Unfortunately xDscDiagnostics did not help me to understand what is happening.

After installing it and enabling logs

install-module xdscdiagnostics
    Update-xDscEventLogStatus -Channel Analytic -Status Enabled
    Update-xDscEventLogStatus -Channel Debug -Status Enabled

and trying to run my script I got following:

ComputerName   SequenceId TimeCreated           Result   JobID                                 AllEvents            
    ------------   ---------- -----------           ------   -----                                 ---------            
    MAC            1          25.11.2015 19:46:23   Success  71012820-939c-11e5-82af-902b343fd6d3  {@{Message=Functio...
    MAC            2          25.11.2015 19:46:23   Success                                        {@{Message=; TimeC...

Notice that both last operations are marked as successful

Trace-xDscOperation -SequenceID 2 | select message | fl

Message : Function MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager_Invoke_SendConfigurationApply started with parameters 
                    Class name: MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager 
                    Method Name: SendConfigurationApply 
                    Namespace: root\microsoft\windows\desiredstateconfiguration 
    Message : Operation Start-DscConfiguration started by user sid S-1-5-21-1387981107-4004572697-3743767158-1001 from computer MAC.

Sequence 1 just showing me whole bunch of operationals.

BTW versions, here is what host showing:

Name             : Windows PowerShell ISE Host
    Version          : 5.0.10586.0
    InstanceId       : 6f6ad33a-967e-4fa2-b0ea-4ded208ce0c3
    UI               : System.Management.Automation.Internal.Host.InternalHostUserInterface
    CurrentCulture   : uk-UA
    CurrentUICulture : en-US
    PrivateData      : Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.ISE.ISEOptions
    DebuggerEnabled  : True
    IsRunspacePushed : False
    Runspace         : System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalRunspace
    Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

I'm not clear on whether you started a trace or not – Start-DSCTrace, I believe?

Alexandr Marchenko

There is no Start-DSCTrace command available, seems that we are speaking about different DSCTrace modules, can you please provide the one you are talking about?

Here is what is have:

Get-Command -Module xDscDiagnostics

CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source                                                                     
    -----------     ----                                               -------    ------                                                                     
    Function        Get-xDscOperation                                  2.0        xDscDiagnostics                                                            
    Function        Trace-xDscOperation                                2.0        xDscDiagnostics                                                            
    Function        Update-xDscEventLogStatus                          2.0        xDscDiagnostics

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.