learning additional automation techniques

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Graham Beer Graham Beer 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Graham Beer
    Graham Beer
    Participant

I've read Adam's article with great interest.

https://mcpmag.com/articles/2016/01/20/connecting-to-wsus-with-powershell.aspx?m=1

I'm fascinated with the below two commands:

[void][reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration")

$script:Wsus = [Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy]::getUpdateServer(MYWSUS, $false, 8530)

This is the sort level I would like to reach. How do you find out that you need to do the above and then know what syntax you need. I want to get good at automation and use and find my own to build solutions. How can I get good at this?

Thanks !

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

First off

[void][reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration")

shouldn't be used. LoadWithPartialName method is deprecated and will be removed in the future. The correct way to load .NET types is to use Add-Type.

To answer your main question to increase your knowledge and skills requires a lot of work. I'd recommend finding some projects that need automating and working through those. You'll more than likely need to research the answers – and that is where you increase your knowledge.
    Coming up with an answer to our monthly Scripting Puzzle would be a good start. Attending one of the PowerShell conferences would enable you to meet other PowerShell experts and learn from them

Profile photo of Graham Beer
    Graham Beer
    Participant

Thanks Richard, appreciate a reply from a powershell genius. Did you happen to look at my sccm script? I can do things to a medium level, it's pushing through that glass ceiling. I've got lots of books, including yours, and try and get through videos on pluralsight.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.