Learning powershell, how to get all properties of an AD user

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Learning powershell, how to get all properties of an AD user

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 4

I have an assignment in my class that asks me to “Using Get-ADUser, obtain a list of the users added in the previous step.  Pipe the output to Export-CliXML.    Using the Import-CliXML, display the objects generated from the CliXML file that you just created.   In the display, look for the user that was added to multiple groups – you should see reference to this user’s groups.” I created a line that gets me the list of users, but I can’t seem to figure out how to add the groups to it and get it functioning.

This is my current line

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase “DC=cls,DC=com”|Select name |Export-Clixml -path C:\userlist.xml

I tried adding groups, security groups, membersof, ect in the select category but they come out blank

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by kvprasoon. Reason: Title correction
      Senior Moderator
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 1420
      Helping Hand

You should be using -Properties parameter of Get-AdUser cmdlet to select them , as by default very few properties will be displayed and groups, security groups, membersof are not part of it.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by kvprasoon. Reason: post correction
      Participant

so would it be more like this?

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase “DC=cls,DC=com” -Properties type |Export-Clixml -path C:\userlist.xml

when I try it like that I get an error saying properties are invalid.

Senior Moderator
      Helping Hand

what is “type” here ? you can see it once by using -Properties *, but using it in script will give all the properties and will be too much.
      So once select all using * will show you all the available properties then can be decided to select required prorpties.

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 5

Looking at your script and requirement it should be as of and -searchbase is not required as you are querying the whole domain. Searchbase is used for a particular OU in domain.

If you want to check scripts like this you are welcome to visit https://www.powershellguru.com/ad

Participant

sorry for no responding, was working on another assignment. When I try the script above I get the following error

PS C:\> Get-ADUser -Filter * -properties *|select Name,groups, security groups, membersof|Export-Clixml -path C:\userlist.xml

Select-Object : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument ‘System.Object[]’.
      At line:1 char:36
      + … -properties *|select Name,groups, security groups, membersof|Export- …
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Select-Object], ParameterBindingException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SelectObjectCommand

Senior Moderator
      Helping Hand

When using properties with space, it should be wrapped in quotes ‘security groups’.

But AFAIK, ‘security groups’ and groups are not properties of a AD user object.

Participant
      Replies: 676
      Helping Hand

But AFAIK, ‘security groups’ and groups are not properties of a AD user object.

They are not. To see all the properties he can run

These are the names of all the properties on an AD user. of course I’d limit this to one user if you could using -Filter

Participant
      Topics: 25
      Replies: 206
      Helping Hand

i’d make it even simpler, if you have the details of a user, no reason to user -filter

get-aduser samaccountname_of_user_here -prop *

you can then either select name, or look at the properties with a value included, I find that much easier to parse than just the list of names

Participant
      Replies: 676
      Helping Hand

If they have the samaccountname, sure. Otherwise filter.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.