List folder access, AD groups and AD members

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A List folder access, AD groups and AD members

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Participant

Hello,

I am looking for a script that does what Accesschk does in listing folders on a file server and lists those active directory groups which are assigned to each folder. I would also like to include the members of those groups. I have found a variety of potential scripts but can't find a concise script that provides what I need. Can anyone help?

I see the following but I don't need the the pspath or pasparentpath
    Get-ChildItem \\server\uncpathgoeshere -recurse | ForEach-Object {Get-Acl $_.FullName} | select pspath, psparentpath, pschildname, path, owner, group | Export-CSV C:\folder_perms.csv

I modified it to the following it's not quite write and I don't know how to fix it.
    Looking for : Folder path\AD Privilege group assigned to that folder\list of members of the respective AD privilege group

Get-ChildItem \\server\uncpath -recurse | ForEach-Object {Get-Acl $_.FullName} | select pspath, path, Get-aduser –filter * -properties DisplayName, Memberof | DisplayName, @{name=”MemberOf”;expression={$_.memberof -join “;”}} | Export-CSV C:\folder_perms.csv

Thanks,
    Roger

Participant

As for...

I see the following but I don't need the the pspath or pasparentpath

… then remove them from the select.

Get-ChildItem C:\Deployment -recurse | 
    ForEach-Object {Get-Acl $_.FullName} | 
    select pschildname, path, owner, group -First 3 | ft -AutoSize 

# Results
    PSChildName    Path                           Owner                 Group                 
    -----------    ----                           -----                 -----                 
    EventLog...    Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\... BUILTIN\Administrators CONTOSO\Domain Users
    CAConfig       Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\... BUILTIN\Administrators CONTOSO\Domain Users
    CRL_Info       Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\... BUILTIN\Administrators CONTOSO\Domain Users

This …

| select pspath, path, Get-aduser –filter * -properties DisplayName, Memberof

… is wrong, because you cannot use a cmdlet 'Get-ADUser in this case' as a property. so this would never work.

This...

| DisplayName, @{name=”MemberOf”;expression={$_.memberof -join “;”}} | Export-CSV C:\folder_perms.csv

… is not correct syntax.

It should be this.

| Select-Object -Property DisplayName, @{name=”MemberOf”;expression={$_.memberof -join “;”}}

So, to get to where you want to be, create one liners for each step to make sure you are getting what you'd expect, then refactor as one script.

You are going to have to work though loops to get all of what you are after.
    Put all your folder into a collection.
    Loop to get each permission of the individual group.
    Loop again to get all users of that group.

A rough example:

($FolderList = Get-ChildItem C:\Deployment -recurse | Select-Object -First 1) | Format-Table -AutoSize
    # Results

Directory: C:\Deployment

Mode         LastWriteTime Length Name                      
    ----         ------------- ------ ----                      
    d----  4/15/2018  11:53 PM        EventLog_Captures

$FolderList | ForEach-Object {Get-Acl $_.FullName}

# Results

Directory: C:\Deployment
    Path              Owner                  Access
    ----               -----                  ------
    EventLog_Captures BUILTIN\Administrators NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Allow  FullControl...

($FolderOwners = ($FolderList | ForEach-Object {Get-Acl $_.FullName}).Owner)

# Results

BUILTIN\Administrators

($FolderOwners | %{Get-ADGroupMember -Identity ($_.split('\')[1]) | Select-Object -Property SamAccountName})

# Results

SamAccountName 
    --------------
    Domain Admins
    Enterprise Admins
    Administrator

Then refactor into something more elegant.

Participant

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Sorry but I am having a little difficulty in following your example.

The following piece works OK
    Get-ChildItem \\server\UNCpath -recurse | ForEach-Object {Get-Acl $_.FullName} | select pschildname, path, owner, group –First 10

I then just want to list the ADGroup and the ADGroupMembers with access to each directory, not each file.

It looks like you are saying I could add ($FolderOwners | %{Get-ADGroupMember -Identity ($_.split('\')[1]) | Select-Object -Property SamAccountName}) but this isn't working if I do the following:

Get-ChildItem \\server\UNCpath -recurse | ForEach-Object {Get-Acl $_.FullName} | select pschildname, path, owner, group –First 10 | ($FolderOwners | %{Get-ADGroupMember -Identity ($_.split('\')[1]) | Select-Object -Property SamAccountName})| Export-CSV C:\TestFolder_perms.csv

What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Roger

Participant

As for …

I then just want to list the ADGroup and the ADGroupMembers with access to each directory, not each file.

.. by default of course, Get-ChildItem will get everything. If you just want the folders, then you have to specific that in the first Get-ChildItem request.

Get-ChildItem -Path D:\Temp -Directory -Recurse

You just cannot pass collection down the pipeline in this fashion, and expect PS to figure it out. YOu have to tell it what to do with the collection / object. If you have a collection, you have to iterate / loop them all items in that collection to get specific data from each item in the collection.

Roughly, I mean, something like this, hashtable example

(Get-ChildItem -Path 'C:\Deployment' -Directory -recurse | Select-Object -First 2) | 
    %{
        # Process each folder for target information
        $Values = [ordered]@{
        'FolderName' = $_.FullName
        'FolderOwner' = (Get-Acl $_.FullName).Owner

# Get the members of the FolderOwner
        'Users ' = (Get-ADGroupMember -Identity (((Get-Acl $_.FullName).Owner).split('\')[1])). SamAccountName
        }
        "`n"
        # Send values to the screen
        $Values
    } 

# Results

Name         Value
    ----         -----
    FolderName   C:\Deployment\EventLog_Captures
    FolderOwner  BUILTIN\Administrators
    Users        {Domain Admins, Enterprise Admins, Administrator}

Name         Value
    ----         -----
    FolderName   C:\Deployment\Config
    FolderOwner  BUILTIN\Administrators
    Users        {Domain Admins, Enterprise Admins, Administrator}

Now, because of how I have the above, to get this into a CSV (table-like) layout, if that is your end goal, that requires going at this a differently, than what I show here. Yet, you'll still going to need the ForLoop effort.

Participant

Hello,

I tried the following using your example but this failed with the error below:

(Get-ChildItem -Path 'D:\DirectoryName' -Directory -recurse | Select-Object -First 2) |
    %{
    # Process each folder for target information
    $Values = [ordered]@{
    'FolderName' = $_.FullName
    'FolderOwner' = (Get-Acl $_.FullName).Owner

# Get the members of the FolderOwner
    'Users ' = (Get-ADGroupMember -Identity (((Get-Acl $_.FullName).Owner).split('\')[1])).SamAccountName
    }
    "`n"
    # Send values to the screen
    $Values
    }

Get-ADGroupMember : Cannot find an object with identity: 'AdminNameadmin' under: 'DC=domain,DC=local'.
    At line:9 char:17
    + 'Users ' = (Get-ADGroupMember -Identity (((Get-Acl $_.FullName).Owner).split ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (AdminNameadmin:ADGroup) [Get-ADGroupMember], ADIdentityNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetAD
    GroupMember

Get-ADGroupMember : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Identity'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the
    command again.
    At line:9 char:45
    + 'Users ' = (Get-ADGroupMember -Identity (((Get-Acl $_.FullName).Owner).split ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Get-ADGroupMember], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetADGroupMember

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. As with the first part of your example the following works ok but the rest does not. Other than replacing the name for the directory name, should I be changing any other values before running?

(Get-ChildItem -Path 'D:\directoryName' -Directory -recurse | Select-Object -First 2)

Thanks,
    Roger

The topic ‘List folder access, AD groups and AD members’ is closed to new replies.