List of 'physical' NICs

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ertuu85 ertuu85 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of ertuu85

Is there a way to grab a list of the 'physical' NICs on a Virtual or physical machine that will report accurately with teamed NICs or ignore things like VPN created NICs?

Profile photo of Flynn Bundy
    Flynn Bundy

It will just be working out a property that can define what exactly you're after. For example in PowerShell 4.0 (8.1/WinServer 2012R2) or later you can use:

Get-NetAdapter -Physical

going back to older style (2.0/3.0) you can always use:

Get-WmiObject -class Win32_Networkadapter | Where {($_.PhysicalAdapter -eq $true)}

On my machine this still returns my VPN connection so I would need to create the criteria to filter this out. IE:

Get-WmiObject -class Win32_Networkadapter | Where {($_.PhysicalAdapter -eq $true) -and ($_.Manufacturer -eq 'Intel') }

Someone might know of some other property determine true physical adapters. Hoep this helps.

Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith

You could use the PNPDeviceID. If it starts with PCI, It's plug n play is via the PCI bus and by association, hardware.

Get-WmiObject -class Win32_Networkadapter | Where {($_.PNPDeviceID -like 'PCI*')}
    Profile photo of ertuu85

Ah thank both of you guys so much!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.