Local Logged In User

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob Simmers Rob Simmers 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tim Fox
    Tim Fox

I'm trying to come up with a way to get a display or friendly name for a local user logged into their PC. This is part of a larger project, and I need to be able to write some basic information to a database.

Here's what I have so far. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. I am assuming it is a syntax error, as it works when I feed it information rather than a variable.

$user = whoami /upn
    #Get-ADUser -Filter 'EmailAddress -eq "$user"' | Select Name | ft -HideTableHeaders
    Get-ADUser -Filter 'EmailAddress -eq "tfox@test.com"' | Select Name | ft -HideTableHeaders

#Test Output
    Write-host $user
    write-host $name

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

The outermost set of quotation marks determine whether PowerShell replaces variables or not. In your example, they're single quotes, so $user is being passed literally rather than being replaced.

Profile photo of Tim Fox
    Tim Fox

Thanks, that gets me further along.

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers

In VBScript, there was a COM object called ADSystemInfo that was an easy way to get AD information for the logged on user. Check this out as a Powershell way:

Keep in mind that if this is running on the client, that Windows RSAT tools need to be installed in order to use Get-ADUser as you will need the ActiveDirectory module. So, typically, ADSI is leveraged to find user information in those instances which is provided I the above link. The ADSI there can be shortened a bit, but validate it is working as expected first.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.