Logon notification

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JC 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

JC
    Participant

I'd like to have an email notification on user logon to certain machines. It's a domain environment so username would be a nice to have in the email. I can create a logon triggered scheduled task to run a script but not sure how to get the script to figure out what user logged on since $env:username would give me the user account that runs the task.

JC
    Participant

Seems like getting the right event with Get-WinEvent and turning it to XML then looking for logon type 10 and process System32 got me the account name so I could insert it into email body.

Anders Jarl Dalholm
      Participant

I would also choose the eventlog path.. Since your only interested in "some" clients, I would setup Windows Event Forwarding Service and create a policy for the clients in question.. then you can run the script from a centralized location..

Hi JC,
    You could also try to get currently logged in users from WMI Win32_ComputerSystem class.

(Get-CimInstance -class Win32_ComputerSystem).username
    #If user is logged in, it will return string DOMAIN\username

JC
    Participant

Thanks Aleksandras. That's a good idea too although I'm more interested in the user that just logged in rather than all users logged in.

Tried to do "Switch account" and then get username from Win32_ComputerSystem. Looks like it return only one currently logged in user. Info from MSDN:

Data type: string
    Access type: Read-only
    Qualifiers: MappingStrings ("Win32API|System Information Functions|GetUserName")
    Name of a user that is logged on currently. This property must have a value. In a terminal services session, UserName returns the name of the user that is logged on to the console—not the user logged on during the terminal service session.

JC
    Participant

This works on my home PC but not on my office Server 2012R2 domain member. Doesn't return anything.

It returns null if you're logged in via RDP.

JC
    Participant

This would explain it đŸ™‚ Many thanks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.