Looking for a more efficient method to call a series of commands

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Greg Tate
    Greg Tate
    Participant

I am using the following code to direct output to the pipeline and a log file:

"Something informative" | Tee-Object -FilePath $LogFile -Append | Write-Output

Having recently learned about the benefits of splatting, I would like to save knuckle grease by not having to retype this series of commands multiple times over. For example, I would like to assign the following portion of the command to a variable and reuse it as needed:

Tee-Object -FilePath $LogFile -Append | Write-Output

I see that you can use the call operator (&) to run commands that are stored in variables. If I store the code above into a variable and then try to call it via "Something informative" | & $Variable, I get an error message indicating that the stuff in the variable is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet or function.

Any suggestions on an efficient way to accomplish this?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

There's no reason to tack Write-Output onto the end of that pipeline, really, so just piping to Tee-Object -FilePath $LogFile -Append already shortens it quite a bit.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

And you could easily make an alias – like "t" – to shorten the command name, and I think the one parameter you're using is already positional.

Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

When you don't want to type something as long as te+tab we use functions. The setup can be quite arduous but the speed of entering four less characters can shave seconds off your day.

function t
    {
    param($text,$logfile)

$text |Tee-Object -FilePath $logfile -Append

}

t -text 'functions are your friend' -logfile tee.txt

t 'functions are your friend too' tee.txt

Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

I kid.. Functions are used to do something repetitive and combined with parameters we can accept input from the command(usually a long script). write em up and save to your profile then forget you even have them.

play-itunes rock
    weather 20878
    google $error[0].categoryinfo.reason

Profile photo of Greg Tate
    Greg Tate
    Participant

Appreciate the input everyone.

I agree that a function would be an appropriate use of this case, but I would prefer something more simple, such as a piece of code I can define in the BEGIN block. This code would serve as a singe place to control output to both a log file and to the console.

I'll continue looking into this and will report back when I'm able to find a solution.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

You could just use Start-Transcript, and not worry about redirecting everything to the log file manually. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.