Making the most of the summit

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tim Pringle Tim Pringle 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Steven Ayers
    Steven Ayers
    Participant

I am a young ops engineer (Cloud & 365 primarily) and I'm planning to attend the Devops & PowerShell summit in WA (Europe PowerShell Conference ticket prices make a trip to the US more appealing), I'll be coming over from the UK, so I want to make the most of my trip.

The conference is for Level 400 and above. I have made GUIs, tools, modules, workflows, worked with CIM/WMI etc to an advanced level. My DSC knowledge is intermediate (setup up several dev environments with it, but never had a chance to use in production) and used classes in PowerShell a little, but more in C#.

I want to make sure that if I turn up to the pre-con and the talks, I'm relatively up to speed with the features which will be looked at, and that I find any deep-dives useful.

Will there be much material unrelated to PowerShell linked to DevOps?

Thanks 🙂

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

Hi Stephen

From your description you sound as if you'll be up to speed for the Summit. As the person who put the agenda together you'll find a lot of PowerShell related material. The sessions fall into a number of buckets:
    – PowerShell internals – the PowerShell team
    – new or interesting stuff – Team lightning demos
    – pure PowerShell – eg sessions by Kirk Munro and Rohn Edwards
    – using PowerShell to do stuff eg sessions from Ashley McGlone, James O'neill and Mike Robbins
    – Devops related sessions – may bring PowerShell into it – only a few of those

its the PowerShell and DevOps Summit with the emphasis on the PowerShell.

The other really important part of the Summit is that you have the opportunity to talk to the speakers during breaks & lunch etc. There are always at least few Powershell team members in attendance and they are always open to questions and feedback.

Hope this helps. If there's anything else I can help with please post again.

BTW if you haven't booked your flight be careful as to the dates you fly out & return as the Summit is close to Easter and I discovered the fares are up to 3 times higher depending on the days you fly

Profile photo of Steven Ayers
    Steven Ayers
    Participant

Thanks for clearing that up Richard. I appreciate the advice on fares too! This is a personally funded trip on a 20 year old's budget!

That part is definitely important – speaking to the top engineers and consultants, and potentially partaking in workshops with them is the main reason why I'm wanting to attend.

I hopefully will see you there 🙂

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

I'm planning on being there – I've got a session to deliver 🙂

Make sure to catch up with me – we normally introduce the Powershell.org people on the Monday morning

Profile photo of Tim Pringle
    Tim Pringle
    Participant

@Stephen, saving wise i'd also recommend taking a look on AirBnB for apartments. I was over a few weeks ago in Bellevue and saved a fortune compared to hotel prices, and had lots of space to chill.And, (not a high prio), places usually have a washer and dryer, so you can travel lighter and save money on dry cleaning. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.