Managing Hyper-V Server 2012 from a Windows 7 Computer

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Forums Archives 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

by RobertDLindholmJr at 2012-12-14 10:14:05

I've just setup a Hyper-V Server 2012 testbox and would like to manage it from a Windows 7 administrative machine via Powershell.

I have installed the Windows Management Framework 3.0 on the Win7 box, so Im running Powershell v3.0.

I have installed the RSAT suite for Windows 7 and have added the Hyper-V server role to my RSAT config.

I can connect to the Hyper-V box via Hyper-V Manager and/or Remote Desktop,but would like to be able to manage the Hyper-V box using Powershell.

The Hyper-V module isn't present in the base install, but even after running update-help [after the Hyper-V role role was added] and trying to run the following command [below], which also didn't import the Hyper-V cmdlets into Powershell, I'm still not clear on how to "import" the Hyper-V module into my instance of Powershell or if this is even possible.

- Update-Help –Module Hyper-V

update-help : No Windows PowerShell modules were found that match the following pattern: hyper-v. Verify the pattern
    and then try the command again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + update-help -module hyper-v
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (hyper-v:String) [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

I realize that Windows 8 has a lot of this functionality "baked in", but would like to manage this from a Win7 machine for now; I have also come across an article online outlining a process that uses CodePlex, but was wondering if this can't be done "natively" without a third party tool.

If anyone can comment on whether this is [first] possible on a Win7 machine and [second] if it is possible, how do I get the Hyper-V cmdlets imported into Powershell on the Win7 machine, I would greatly appreciate it.

by ArtB0514 at 2012-12-14 13:47:03

Your best bet would be to use remoting. Best introduction is Don's book at Search for information on Implicit Remoting. That might be the most straight forward way to accomplish what you want.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.