mapped drives

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Derf User Derf User 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Hi, is there a way in PowerShell to identify mapped drives for a user and then place shortcuts on the users desktop? Thanks for any help in advance.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Well, you could certainly enumerate PSDrive (Get-PSDrive) objects of the FileSystem type, I guess, and look to see which roots where UNCs versus local. And there's an old COM object that can create shortcuts, I think it's part of WShell.

Or, you know, make your users grow up and enter the 21st century. 🙂

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

LOL oh I agree totally.

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

I can list the mapped drives using the following:

Get-WmiObject Win32_MappedLogicalDisk -computer $computer | select name, providername 

Any ideas on a quick script to use the information it collects and create shortcuts on the users desktop? Believe me I don't want to do this either. Users should know where their data is located.

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
      Olaf Soyk
      Participant

Did you try to search for it?

New-ShortCut

Profile photo of Derf User
      Derf User
      Participant

There is an excellent article in the Microsoft book Windows 2000 Scripting guide (Page 193) which I have just used specifically for this, via Wscript.Shell. I can post the code here if you can find nothing else.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.