Matching on multiple lines with -contains or -like

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Matching on multiple lines with -contains or -like

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by
    Participant
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 14

Hello,

I would like to be able to match on multiple lines and I am having troubles trying to figure out how to do this.  I have a feeling I am going to need regex but I am not sure.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

$url = "http://contoso.com/robots.txt"

$disallowall = {
      User-agent: *
      Disallow: /
      }

$robots = (Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $url -ErrorAction Stop).content | Out-String
      if ($robots -contains $disallowall){

Write-Host "yes" -ForegroundColor Green

}

The issue I am having is “ $robots -contains $disallowall” says its false even though $disallowall definitely contains these two lines.  I have tried to use “*$disallow*” and other variations but cannot get this to match on the multiple lines in $disallowall variable with -contains or -like.  Obviously the URL in this example wouldnt match but in my working example it does.

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 77
      Helping Hand

It is unclear if {} are required in your match string. A beginning and ending pair of {} denotes a script block in PowerShell. When comparing strings, it is likely unnecessary. Using quotes, here-strings, and other string formatting mechanisms will be the way to go.

If the downloaded content has line breaks that match your [console]::NewLine configuration, you could simply just use a here-string with the -like operator:

If the line break characters are unknown, you can test with -match, which uses regex. That will allow for a specific newline character pattern match. This will match 0 or 1 carriage returns and a line feed. It also escapes the literal *.

Participant

It appears your code blocks took on some formatting.  Can you please re-post your code suggestions?

Participant
      Topics: 13
      Replies: 1753
      Helping Hand

There are several issues. First, are you sure that Invoke-RestMethod is returning what you expect as it’s odd to refer directly to a txt file. The $disallowall is defined as a script block. The contains operator is an array comparison:

This most likely would not work unless the content is array and a line matches exactly. What exactly does the $robots contain?

Participant

Rob,

Using my real URL (not contoso.com), the $robots contains the following.

#robots.txt file

I am checking robots.txt to confirm that file contains the following two lines consecutively.

Also, I have tried to match on this using regex and I cannot get that working either.

$robots -match [regex]”User-agent: \*[\r\n]Disallow: \/”)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Mike.
      Participant
      Topics: 7
      Replies: 557
      Helping Hand

When using the -contains operator on an array, it will look at/match elements.

[/crayon]

String types have a .Contains method you can use to find text. Something like this works

($array | Out-String).Contains('hree') # true

Participant

Thanks Adminofthings45!  This seemed to be the part I needed.

$disallowall = @
      @

Can you tell me why you wrap the variable value in @?  I understand that leading with @ forces it to be an array (even if it only contains a single value) however why is it necessary to end with @ also?

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 77
      Helping Hand

@''@ is a here-string. It is used to help preserve formatting for strings that span multiple lines.

Participant

Perfect!  Thank you AdminOfThings45!  I really appreciate your guidance.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.