Method invocation failed…doesn’t contain a method named ‘op_Addition’

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Method invocation failed…doesn’t contain a method named ‘op_Addition’

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 5

Hi Folks,

I hope all is well. I have a .ps1 script that runs successfully. It uploads two files to an sftp site. I need to add another file that goes to a different directory in the same sftp site. I reviewed the code and “followed suit” by adding the vars and commands I thought that would be needed to include the third file transfer.

I get the following error when I run it:

Error: Method invocation failed because [WinSCP.TransferOperationResult] does not contain a method named ‘op_Addition’.

In my code below I made a comment above each new entry. You will see a “#”

Any help is appreciated.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by kvprasoon. Reason: code formatting: see https://powershell.org/forums/topic/guide-to-posting-code-2/
      Senior Moderator
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 1373
      Helping Hand

Not all objects support addition, so you will have to explicitly type cast it as array of [WinSCP.TransferOperationResult]

Participant

Not all objects support addition, so you will have to explicitly type cast it as array of [WinSCP.TransferOperationResult]

Thank you @kvprasoon for formatting it to look like code. I couldn’t figure out how to do it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Where do I declare the variable as an array? I tried to after line 39 and I got the same error.

As you can see, i’m not familiar w/ this.

Senior Moderator
      Helping Hand

You have to declare variables before using it. If in a loop, it should be above the loop. Here, it can be anywhere above $transferOptions = New-Object WinSCP.TransferOptions

For code formatting, there is a detailed instruction https://powershell.org/forums/topic/guide-to-posting-code-2/

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by kvprasoon. Reason: post correction
      Participant

You have to declare variables before using it. If in a loop, it should be above the loop. Here, it can be anywhere above $transferOptions = New-Object WinSCP.TransferOptions

For code formatting, there is a detailed instruction https://powershell.org/forums/topic/guide-to-posting-code-2/

I did what you recommended (see below) and I still get the same error. What else needs to be done?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by r dawson.
      • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by r dawson.
      Senior Moderator
      Helping Hand

Ahh, my apologies, I mentioned the wrong variable. Here it should be $transferResult.

You should always add element to array once defined, so it will be like below.

Participant

$transferResult = @()
      $transferOptions = New-Object WinSCP.TransferOptions
      $transferOptions.TransferMode = [WinSCP.TransferMode]::Binary
      $transferResult += $session.PutFiles($file1, “/Budget/”, $False, $transferOptions)
      $transferResult += $session.PutFiles($file2, “/Actuals/”, $False, $transferOptions)
      $transferResult += $session.PutFiles($fileOMS, “/OMS_KPI/”, $False, $transferOptions)

Wonderful! Thank you @kvprasoon. Can you provide any resource as to how this worked? (So I can learn from it)
      thank you again for your patience and assistance. ๐Ÿ™‚

Senior Moderator
      Helping Hand

👍.

Arrays are basically collections and + operator is used to add elements to a collection. An undefined variable in PowerShell gets its type when its getting set for the first time. And the + operator is type depended, if the type of the variable is a string, then + does the append operation. If the variable is an integer, then + will do addition. Here the type WinSCP.TransferOperationResult is not a string and was trying to add it expecting it to be a collection, but not.

But in PowerShell arrays are heterogenous, means we can add any type of data in to a single array. Here its of the same WinSCP.TransferOperationResult type, since variable is defined as an array, here it adds value with WinSCP.TransferOperationResult type in all the three lines.

js
      Participant
      Topics: 32
      Replies: 848
      Helping Hand

+= kills puppies.

Participant

+= kills puppies.

๐Ÿ˜€
      Do you think there would be a more elegant way to code something like this? i’m not too familiar w/ powershell fundamentals yet. i’ll get there some day.

@kvprasoon, thanks for your information. i’ll copy pasta into my powershell notes.

Senior Moderator
      Helping Hand

Arrays in PowerShell are of fixed in size. So doing += will actually create a new array with newly added element. hence its expensive with performance.

If working with large collections, its better to go with arraylist and use Add() method.

Participant
      Topics: 16
      Replies: 1794
      Helping Hand

I like the ‘bubble up’ approach, so you could define your file information in an object like a hashtable or psobject and use a loop. Results returned from PutFiles are rolled into or bubbled up in to $transferResult.

Note: This is psuedo-code and you can define these in appropriate places in your script:

Using a PSObject gives you more flexibility as you could define all of the arguments that PutFiles requires. Note how for the OMS_KPI we specify that we DO want to remote the file, but do not for the previous two:

Participant

I like the โ€˜bubble upโ€™ approach, so you could define your file information in an object like a hashtable or psobject and use a loop. Results returned from PutFiles are rolled into or bubbled up in to $transferResult.

Note: This is psuedo-code and you can define these in appropriate places in your script:

<link rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css” href=”https://powershell.org/wp-content/plugins/urvanov-syntax-highlighter/themes/powershell-ise/powershell-ise.css”&gt;
      <link rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css” href=”https://powershell.org/wp-content/plugins/urvanov-syntax-highlighter/fonts/liberation-mono.css”&gt;

Using a PSObject gives you more flexibility as you could define all of the arguments that PutFiles requires. Note how for the OMS_KPI we specify that we DO want to remote the file, but do not for the previous two:

<link rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css” href=”https://powershell.org/wp-content/plugins/urvanov-syntax-highlighter/themes/powershell-ise/powershell-ise.css”&gt;
      <link rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css” href=”https://powershell.org/wp-content/plugins/urvanov-syntax-highlighter/fonts/liberation-mono.css”&gt;

wooohhh, this is cool. i’m gonna experiment with it this way. thanks @Rob Simmons!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.