Minimum workstation requirements

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Craig Michael Craig 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Michael Craig
    Michael Craig
    Participant

Hello,

Today is Day 1 for me, trying to figure out DSC. I was able to get the pull server set up using Don Jones' scripts, Fantastic work there!
    However, I'm on my workstation (Windows 7, with PS 4.0), and I can't publish to the pull server.

So this brings up my "what is the workstation requirement"?

Am I required to run Windows 8+? Do I HAVE to develop scripts on Windows 20012R2? Am I just missing a component?

Also, can DSC configure Windows 2008R2 yet? I'm trying to execute this from a 2012R2 server and it no work, I understand 'Get-WindowsFeature' is a 2012 command, but I would think it could dumb itself down to talk to 2008:
    Get-WindowsFeature -Name Windows-Server-Backup -Computer myslave2008

Google/Bing is not answering my questions...

Thanks,

Mike

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Michael,

Please go into more detail about how you're trying to publish to the pull server (step by step if possible) and which operating system your pull server is running.

In theory it should be possible to generate the MOF and checksum files on your workstation and copy into the DSC configuration folder on your pull server.

The Get-WindowsFeature cmdlet is available in Windows 2008 R2 but it has fewer options. I usually run it like below against remote machines:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName Win2008Server -ScriptBlock { Import-Module ServerManager; Get-WindowsFeature -Name NET-Framework-Core }

Michael Craig
      Participant

Honestly, I can't remember what in the heck I was doing yesterday I could swear I was following someone's "how=to", and there was a command to publish your mof/checksum files to a pull server. But now I can't find that page.
      Maybe my "Chef" is showing, I know only a little about "Chef", but I do know that you publish to that server. This seems like a missing feature for DSC.

Michael Craig
      Participant

Thanks for the example Daniel. Sure would be nice if MS would stop changing the names of their Features/services/etc.

Profile photo of Jacob Benson
    Jacob Benson

You don't "publish" to the Pull Server. If you have created a Configuration and generated the .MOF file, you need to copy that .MOF file to the Pull server, and then create a Checksum file for that .MOF file (this is all outlined in the DSC E-book).

You are certainly not required to develop Configurations on Windows 8.1 or Server 2012 R2 (although it might be easier). If you have WMF 4.0 on Windows 7 and the full Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 package (prior to installing WMF 4.0), then you should be good to go on Windows 7.

I ran the command Daniel listed above without specifying a feature name on a Server 2008 R2 VM that I have and it looks like the name of the Feature you want in Server 2008 R2 is just Backup:
    [ ] Windows Server Backup Features Backup-Features
    [ ] Windows Server Backup Backup
    [ ] Command-line Tools Backup-Tools

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.