Modify line and add new line after

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Modify line and add new line after

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
1 year ago.

• Author

Participant

Coming from the Linux world I would use sed for this but trying to use PowerShell to modify a config file. The file is located in C:\Program Files\NSClient++\nsclient.ini and inside that file there is a line that shows allowed hosts = . I need to add some additional IP addresses and some of these configs have 2 addresses and others have 3. So to make this easy I just wanted to comment out this original line of allowed hosts = to #allowed hosts = and then below it add a new line with allowed hosts = . Then restart my service with Restart-Service nscd so this new config file takes effect.

I think I am making this way harder than it has to be but I was able to figure out how to comment out my line with this
    (get-content C:\Program Files\NSClient++\nsclient.ini) | foreach-object {$_ -replace "allowed hosts", "#allowed hosts"} | set-content C:\Program Files\NSClient++\nsclient.ini but I tried a few other examples and can't get a new line under it with the text I want.

Looking for some assistance. Thanks!

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

PowerShell isn't the text manipulation machine that you're used to ;). And by building this as a “one-liner,” you're making it a bit harder on yourself.

Consider:

Get-Content whatever.ini |
    ForEach-Object {
     If ($_ -like “allowed hosts”) { Write “#allowed hosts” }
     If ($_ -like “something else”) { Write “whatever” }
    } | Set-Content whatever.ini

In other words, set up a series of test conditions for things you care about, and then use Write-Output (Write) to output whatever you'd like instead.

Does that help at all?

Participant

Yes, thanks Don. I'll take your recommendation and try to put something together based on this example.

Text manipulating is much simpler with Linux that is true! 🙂

Participant

Also maybe something like this:

$Content = Get-Content -Path SomeFile.ini

$NewContent = ForEach ($Line in $Content) {
        if ($Line -like "allowed hosts*")
        {
            Write-Output $("#" + $Line)
            Write-Output "allowed hosts = new IPs"
        }
        else
        {
            Write-Output $Line
        }
    }
    Set-Content -Path SomeFile.ini -Value $NewContent

The topic ‘Modify line and add new line after’ is closed to new replies.