Modifying AD Attibutes having Extended Schema

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

by aubrytj at 2012-10-14 16:37:05

Stuck on how to modify an extended schema attribute(s).
    Would appreciate any help – I'm still new with PowerShell – yet have learned a lot each time I venture.

Would like to loop through each Windows XP workstation and update a selective field(s) that is now part of an extended schema?

I am able to update the fields manually using ADSI Attribute Editor....yet this would be a bit cumbersome since their are many workstations....and to possibly run on scheduled task for each new workstation that gets created.

The extended schema fields in question needs a defined contant value:
    dcloc-xssip = 'USB'
    dcloc-location = 'WesternState'

Currently have the following that does give the results for only "Windows XP" workstations – since I did not want to include servers when executed.

Get-QADComputer -IncludeAllProperties -ComputerRole Member -SizeLimit 0 -OSName 'Windows XP*' | Format-Table -Property computername, osname, osversion, description, dcloc-xssip, dcloc-location

Could it be something like:
    Get-QADComputer -IncludeAllProperties -ComputerRole Member -SizeLimit 0 -OSName 'Windows XP*' | Format-Table -Property computername, osname, osversion, description, dcloc-xssip, dcloc-location | set-qadcomputer -dcloc-xssip 'USB', -dcloc-location 'WesternState'

Don't believe this would work since a positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument for 'USB'.

Any idea's would again be most appreciated..

Thanks,

Ted

by Klaas at 2012-10-15 01:47:38

Have you tried without the 'Format-Table'?
    This cmdlet writes output to the screen so there are no objects left to pipe to set-qadcomputer.
    I think it will work if you pipe the results from 'Get-QADComputer' directly to 'Set-QADComputer'.

by aubrytj at 2012-10-15 17:05:48

Thanks Klaas – this is what I replaced it with – am I doing something incorrect here – looks like the "dcloc-xssip' is not found?
    Do I have to declare something....

Get-QADComputer -IncludeAllProperties -ComputerRole Member -SizeLimit 0 -OSName 'Windows XP*' | Set-QADComputer -dcloc-xssip 'USB' | Format-Table -Property computername, osname, osversion, description, dcloc-xssip

Set-QADComputer : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'dcloc-xssip'.
    At C:\Scripts\List Selective OS with dcloc Value.ps1:12 char:125
    + Get-QADComputer -IncludeAllProperties -ComputerRole Member -SizeLimit 0 -OSName 'Windows XP*' | Set-QADComputer -dcloc
    -xssip < <<< 'USB'
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-QADComputer], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Quest.ActiveRoles.ArsPowerShellSnapIn.Powershell.Cmdlets.SetComput
    erCmdlet

by Klaas at 2012-10-16 00:40:54

As the message says: there is no parameter with that name, only for some properties there's a parameter. For all the others you can use the -objectattributes parameter, with @{dcloc-xssip='USB}.
    Please do Get-Help Set-QADComputer -full | more for a full explanation of the cmdlet.
    I think there won't be anything left in the pipe to Format-Table. If you want output to the screen you can work with -passthru or Tee-object or use another Get-QADComputer.

by aubrytj at 2012-10-17 21:46:32

Thanks you Klass – will try it....looks simple...yet I'm still new at this – so will be test this out in our test domain.. 🙂

by aubrytj at 2012-11-11 18:58:40

#Beginning of Request
    # ——————————————————————————-
    # Request to populate the dcloc-xssip field on all workstations
    # Update – WIN XP/WIN7 workstations only
    # Change field $dcloc-xssip for variable desired to populate field
    #——————————————————————————–
    Set-ExecutionPolicy remotesigned
    Clear-Host
    # Add Quest Snapin
    Add-PSSnapin Quest.ActiveRoles.ADManagement
    & 'C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Management Shell for AD\qsft.ps1'

# Set dcloc-xssip constant variable
    $dcloc-xssip="USB"
    # Run against selected OS's –
    Get-QADComputer -IncludeAllProperties -SizeLimit 0 -OSName '*windows xp*','*windows 7*' | Set-QADComputer -oa @{'dclocxssip'=$dcloc-xssip}
    #End of Request

Thou I get the "Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. At :line:0 char:0" – it works – did some searching and this seems to be a glitch with PS v2 –> mentioned by Kirk Munro
    "http]

So will have to just check out PS v3...

Performance is an issue yet it does work – any thoughts for improvement is appreciated!!! – yet this is "SOLVED"

Thanks! Klass and Kirk...

by dsf3g at 2012-11-12 05:50:34

This is very easy to do with Quest. Here's a one liner:

Set-QADUser -Identity "MyUser" -ObjectAttributes @{"MyCustomAttribute" = "Value"}

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.