Month of Lunches for Powershell 3?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Forums Archives 5 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

by JHH2255 at 2012-11-20 09:04:50

I purchased Don Jones' Learn Windows PowerShell In A Month of Lunches (Copyright 2011 Manning Press) early last month on Amazon. I'm working through the book and today I'm in Chapter 7 of 20+ chapters.

Should I continue through this book or order his new MOL that covers PowerShell 3?

Thanks,
    John

Regarding the book I have....

I've been in IT since the days of Novell Netware 3 and I've used a lot of books to learn about a specific technology and prepare for certification exams – Novell, Cisco, Microsoft, CompTIA, and others. Month of Lunches and the manner in which Don presents the information is far superior to any other tech book I've read. He clearly understands that we learn best by doing – and often we can't truly learn without doing.

by DonJ at 2012-11-20 09:08:52

The book you have is still 100% valid – it just doesn't cover any new v3 features. It was actually split into two for v3 – the regular "Lunches," which expands into v3 features a lot more, and the new "Toolmaking" book, which goes a lot deeper and further into the scripting topics.

So it's kinda your call. http://www.PowerShellBooks.com lists them both; I'd say you can probably get by just fine with the v2 one, but you'll be missing just a bit in terms of v3 features.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.