Author Posts

January 1, 2012 at 12:00 am

by royse at 2013-04-10 18:03:07

I'm reading a .csv file that uses the employeeID as a key to find the user.
The basic code for that is below, although I'm updating 15 attributes and this only show 2 of them.
This all works well until I hit an empty cell in the .csv.
What I need it to do is ignore empty cells.
For example, if the "Work Phone" cell is empty, don't set the officePhone attribute
All I have come up with so far is to check each cell for the existance of a value and then try to concatenate a command line.
i.e. if ($str) CommandLine = CommandLine + next attribute
There has got to be an easier, more efficient way.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Import-module ActiveDirectory

$Users = Get-ADUser -Filter * -Properties EmployeeID

$UserHash = @{}
foreach ($User in $Users)
{
$UserHash.Add($User.EmployeeID, $User.SamAccountName)
}

Clear-Variable Users
$CSV = Import-Csv -Path '.\Users.csv'
foreach ($Record in $CSV)
{
Set-ADUser -Identity ($UserHash.Item($Record.EmpID)) -OfficePhone $Record."Work Phone" -Add @{otherTelephone = $Record."Extension"
}

by ps_gregg at 2013-04-10 20:53:26

Hi Royse,

I run a similar process each night with a database that updates AD. Sometimes the database fields are blank so here is an example of the concept I use:

foreach ($Record in $CSV)
{
# Create Hash Table to hold any changes that need to be applied
$objectattributes = @{}

#If statement written as multi-line
if($record.deptNum -ne $null){
$objectattributes += @{departmentNumber=$($record.deptNum)}
}

#If statement written as one-line
if($record.LOCATION -ne $null){ $objectattributes += @{physicalDeliveryOfficeName=$($record.LOCATION)} }

# If the $objectattributes contains any data, write it to Active Directory
if($objectattributes.count -ne 0) {
Set-ADUser -Identity $user -Replace $objectattributes
}
}

In my script I also check the database value against the attribute value in the AD record before deciding to update. There is no sense in updating if the values are the same.

Note: pardon me if there are minor errors in what I wrote above, I am working from memory since I don't have my script in front of me — but hopefully this gives you an idea on the concept that I chose to use. If there are better ways to do this I'd like to know too.

-Gregg

by Slashj at 2013-04-24 05:11:25

Hi there,

As far as i know, you dont have to check propertyvalues with "-ne $null" and such.

If you just want to check if an Cell is empty or not, then i suggest using this one here:

if($record."Work Phone"){
Set-ADUser -Identity ($UserHash.Item($Record.EmpID)) -OfficePhone $Record."Work Phone" -Add @{otherTelephone = $Record."Extension"
}
else{
"Work Phone is emtpy"
}

I also tested it quick on my local machine, this should work for you.

BR