move a VM to another subnet - Update-AzureVM : BadRequest: The virtual network I

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Salam Elias Salam Elias 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Salam Elias
    Salam Elias

Hi, I am following instructions on moving an existing VM in Azure to a Different Subnet as indicated at the url

After adding my account, selecting scription and do Get-AzureVM, I get the following error

[blockquote]Update-AzureVM : BadRequest: The virtual network ID cannot be null or empty.
    At line:1 char:7
    + $vm | Update-AzureVM
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : CloseError: [:] [Update-AzureVM], CloudException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.ServiceManagement.IaaS.UpdateAzureVMCommand [/blockquote]

The command

[blockquote]Get-AzureVM –ServiceName TestVMCloud –Name TestVM | Set-AzureSubnet –SubnetNames Subnet-2 | Update-AzureVM
    has no parameter "Virtual network ID", so what is missing here?

was using variables when getting the mentioned error like this

[blockquote]Get-AzureVM-ServiceName $cloudServiceName -Name $vmName | Set-AzureSubnet -SubnetNames $subnetname | Update-AzureVM
    I replaced the variables with there values as follows (without quotes as suggested)

[blockquote]Get-AzureVM -ServiceName myservice -Name MyAVM2 | Set-AzureSubnet -SubnetNames mysubnet | Update-AzureVM
    it did not work, I also tried using quotes

[blockquote]Get-AzureVM -ServiceName 'myservice' -Name 'MyAVM2' | Set-AzureSubnet -SubnetNames 'mysubnet' | Update-AzureVM [/blockquote]

I opened a thread on MS forums, they request to open a ticket and my subscription is an MSDN related subscription which has no technical support

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers

Are you sure the subnet you are referencing is correct? It looks like there is a Get-AzureVnetSite cmdlet that lists the available subnets, so can you do Get-AzureVnetSite -VnetName mysubnet and access the subnet? My guess is that Set-AzureSubnet is doing a similar look up and cannot find the subnet with that name, so it's null.

Profile photo of Salam Elias
    Salam Elias

Dear Rob, executing only Get-AzureVnetSite or Get-AzureVnetSite -VNetName myNetwork
    [blockquote]AddressSpacePrefixes : {}
    AffinityGroup :
    DnsServers : {salammain}
    GatewayProfile : Small
    GatewaySites : {}
    Id : *****************
    InUse : False
    Label :
    Name : salam****************k
    State : Created
    Subnets : {Subnet-1, GatewaySubnet}
    OperationDescription : Get-AzureVNetSite
    OperationId : 540d9a6a-3515-a147-b0e6-e725e4e65a9a
    OperationStatus : Succeeded
    So I have a subnet named "Subnet-1"

when I run
    Get-AzureVnetSite -VNetName Subnet-1 or
    Get-AzureVnetSite -VNetName 'Subnet-1' or "Get-AzureVnetSite -VNetName Subnet-1"

I get
    Get-AzureVNetSite : There were not enough free threads in the ThreadPool to complete the operation.

Thanks again

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.