Moving files using an array

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Terry McKenna Terry McKenna 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Terry McKenna
    Terry McKenna
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I am trying to write a script that will move about 15 files. I thought it made the most sense to create an array with all the file names in it. So what I ended up with was:

$sourceFolder = 'C:\Temp'
    $destFolder = 'C:\Foo'
    $myFiles = @(file1,file2,file3)
    Move-Item "$sourceFolder\MyFiles[0]" $destFolder

Files do not move and I do not get an error.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

There are a few ways you could do this. Move-Item does accept an array for the -Path and -LiteralPath parameters, but you would need to create an array with the full paths of each file first. Alternatively, you can use the pipeline. Here are a few different ways to make this work, starting with the three variables you defined (and there are probably half a dozen more you could come up with, though they're all variants of the same basic ideas):

$sourceFolder = 'C:\Temp'
    $destFolder = 'C:\Foo'
    $myFiles = @('file1','file2','file3')

# Pipe FileInfo objects to Move-Item via the pipeline
    Get-ChildItem -Path "$sourceFolder\*" -Include $myFiles | Move-Item -Destination $destFolder -WhatIf

# Build an array of paths to pass to Move-Item without pipeline input
    Move-Item -Path ($myFiles -replace '^', "$sourceFolder\") -Destination $destFolder -WhatIf

# Use pipeline input combined with a ScriptBlock parameter.  (Kind of nifty, and not very widely known or well documented syntax)
    $myFiles | Move-Item -Path { "$sourceFolder\$_" } -Destination $destFolder -WhatIf

Lose the -WhatIf switches, of course. I just included those for demonstration purposes.

Terry McKenna
    Participant

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.

It appears that each of your examples will move all the files in the array. Is there a way to select specific files based on their element ID?

Dave Wyatt

What do you mean by their element ID? Their index in the array?

There are lots of ways you could do that. Since you already have an array in memory, the easiest is probably to use the array index operator. Something like this (in all 3 examples, I'm just making up the assumption that you want to move the first and third files in the array, skipping the second one.)

# Pipe FileInfo objects to Move-Item via the pipeline
    Get-ChildItem -Path "$sourceFolder\*" -Include $myFiles[0,2] | Move-Item -Destination $destFolder -WhatIf

# Build an array of paths to pass to Move-Item without pipeline input
    Move-Item -Path ($myFiles[0,2] -replace '^', "$sourceFolder\") -Destination $destFolder -WhatIf

# Use pipeline input combined with a ScriptBlock parameter.  (Kind of nifty, and not very widely known or well documented syntax)
    $myFiles[0,2] | Move-Item -Path { "$sourceFolder\$_" } -Destination $destFolder -WhatIf

# Just for giggles, showing off the Select-Object -Index parameter:
    $myFiles | Select-Object -Index 0,2 | Move-Item -Path { "$sourceFolder\$_" } -Destination $destFolder -WhatIf

Dave Wyatt

Also, here's how your original command could be modified to work:

Move-Item "$sourceFolder\$($MyFiles[0])" $destFolder

$() is the subexpression operator, and it's mostly used to embed expressions such as $MyFiles[0] into a string. Without it, $MyFiles would expand, and [0] would be treated as a literal part of the string (instead of being treated as an operator and array index.)

Terry McKenna
    Participant

This seems to work best for me:

Move-Item "$sourceFolder\$($MyFiles[0])" $destFolder

Feel like a kid in a candy store with all these options 😉

Thanks again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.