MSU PackageProvider in PS 5.0?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Darwin Darwin 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jeremy Murrah
    Jeremy Murrah
    Participant

Was just poking around on powershell v5, and noticed when I run get-packageprovider there's both an msi provider and an msu provider. My first thought when I saw that was "OMG is Microsoft going to put windows updates in a package provider?!?" Can't seem to find anything relevant to that online, thought I would ask here.

Maybe it's just a placeholder for some more mundane aspect, but how cool would windows updates through find-package and install-package be?!?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Dunno yet ;). Suppose we'll have to wait and see!

Profile photo of Darwin
    Darwin
    Participant

Right now the MSU provider only seems to do inventory.

There is a way to see what is on the horizon for Providers and there are already some interesting ones. If you have installed WMF 5 RTM (RTMed 2/24) or a fully patched Windows 10 install, run the below CMDLet. (You must have version 1.0.0.1 of "PackageMangement" to have the Find-PackageProvider CMDLet.)

Find-PackageProvider

In the output of that command I see a couple very interesting NEW ones on the list:

ContainerProvider
    ContainerProvider is a Windows PowerShell module to find, save or install Windows Server Container images.

OfficeProvider
    OfficeProvider allows users to install Microsoft Office365 ProPlus from Powershell.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.