Author Posts

October 15, 2015 at 3:44 pm

I'm running a query for network adapters. I need get some properties from the one or more adapter.

I can retrieve one object but I can's seem to get the loop to work to get the other network adapter properties.

Here is the code

function Get-HGNetworkInfo{

[cmdletbinding()]

param( [string]$ComputerName )

Write-Verbose "Getting Network Info.." -Verbose
$networkData = Get-WmiObject -Computer $ComputerName Win32_Networkadapter -Credential $cred -Filter "NetEnabled=True"

$adapter = 1
foreach($network in $networkData){

$props = @{ 'Adapter' = $adapter;
'Manufacturer' = $networkData.Manufacturer;
'Description' = $networkData.Description;
'Connection' = $networkData.NetConnectionID;
'SpeedGB' = [string]$networkData.Speed/1000/1000/1000 }

$adapter += 1

$NetworkInfo = New-Object -TypeName psobject -Property $props
}

$IPinfo = Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapterconfiguration -ComputerName $ComputerName -Credential $cred -Filter "IPEnabled=True"
$winServers = 0
$winServers = ($IPinfo.WinsPrimaryServer -join ","),($IPinfo.WinsSecondaryServer -join ",")

$netSpeed = Get-HGNetworkSpeedDuplex -ComputerName $servername
$IPv6 = Get-HGIPv6Status -ComputerName $servername

Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'IPAddress' -Value ($IPinfo.IPAddress -join ",") -Force
Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'Submask' -Value ($IPinfo.IPSubnet -join ",") -Force
Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'Gateway' -Value ($IPinfo.DefaultIPGateway -join ",") -Force
Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'DNSServers' -Value ($IPinfo.DnsServerSearchOrder-join ",") -Force
Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'WinServers' -Value ($winServers -join ",") -Force
Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'DomainSuffixes' -Value ($IPinfo.DNSDomainSuffixSearchOrder -join ",") -Force
Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'IPv6Enabled' -Value ($IPV6 -as [string]) -Force
Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'SpeedDuplex' -Value ($netSpeed -as [string]) -Force

Write-Output $NetworkInfo
}

as you can see, this return only one item.

can you check, and let me know what I need to change to be able to return more than one network adapter in a computer

October 15, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Well, your foreach loop only consists of this section, and each time it loops, you are overwriting the object before outputting it anywhere.

foreach($network in $networkData){

$props = @{ 'Adapter' = $adapter;
'Manufacturer' = $networkData.Manufacturer;
'Description' = $networkData.Description;
'Connection' = $networkData.NetConnectionID;
'SpeedGB' = [string]$networkData.Speed/1000/1000/1000 }

$adapter += 1

$NetworkInfo = New-Object -TypeName psobject -Property $props
}

Instead of ending your loop there, you probably want it to finish building out all of your data and not end it until after your Write-Output. That way you are outputting the data for the current NIC before you start building your data for the second, etc. NIC.

October 16, 2015 at 1:40 am

Hi

Your script can be simplified as below. I've also corrected a couple of errors eg using the collection instead of iteration variable in your foreach when creating the properties. The trick here is that the DEviceId property on Win32_NetworkAdapter has the same value as Index on Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration so you can use that to match adapters and IP data

I've commented out the lines using your functions for speed etc and I've commented out the 2 Get-WmiObject calls as I'm running this locally. You see the original lines and swap the uncommented and commented lines

function Get-HGNetworkInfo{

[cmdletbinding()]

param( [string]$ComputerName )

$networkinfo = @()

Write-Verbose "Getting Network Info for $computername" -Verbose
    #$networks = Get-WmiObject -Computer $ComputerName Win32_Networkadapter -Credential $cred -Filter 'NetEnabled=True'
    $networks = Get-WmiObject Win32_Networkadapter -Filter 'NetEnabled=True'

$adapter = 0
    foreach($network in $networks){

$id = $network.DeviceId

#$IPinfo = Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapterconfiguration -ComputerName $ComputerName -Credential $cred -Filter "Index = $id"
        $IPinfo = Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapterconfiguration -Filter "Index = $id"
        $winServers = 0
        $winServers = ($IPinfo.WinsPrimaryServer -join ','),($IPinfo.WinsSecondaryServer -join ',')

#$netSpeed = Get-HGNetworkSpeedDuplex -ComputerName $servername
        #$IPv6 = Get-HGIPv6Status -ComputerName $servername 
        $netSpeed = ' '
        $IPV6 = ' '

$adapter += 1

$props = @{ 
            'Adapter' = $adapter;
            'Manufacturer' = $network.Manufacturer;
            'Description' = $network.Description;
            'Connection' = $network.NetConnectionID;
            'SpeedGB' = [string]$network.Speed / 1GB
            'IPAddress' = $IPinfo.IPAddress -join ','