Multiple Network Adapters

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Helder Guzman 2 years ago.

• Author

Helder Guzman
    Participant

I'm running a query for network adapters. I need get some properties from the one or more adapter.

I can retrieve one object but I can's seem to get the loop to work to get the other network adapter properties.

Here is the code

function Get-HGNetworkInfo{

[cmdletbinding()]

param( [string]$ComputerName )

Write-Verbose "Getting Network Info.." -Verbose
    $networkData = Get-WmiObject -Computer $ComputerName Win32_Networkadapter -Credential $cred -Filter "NetEnabled=True"

$adapter = 1
    foreach($network in $networkData){

$props = @{ 'Adapter' = $adapter;
    'Manufacturer' = $networkData.Manufacturer;
    'Description' = $networkData.Description;
    'Connection' = $networkData.NetConnectionID;
    'SpeedGB' = [string]$networkData.Speed/1000/1000/1000 }

$adapter += 1

$NetworkInfo = New-Object -TypeName psobject -Property $props
    }

$IPinfo = Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapterconfiguration -ComputerName $ComputerName -Credential $cred -Filter "IPEnabled=True"
    $winServers = 0
    $winServers = ($IPinfo.WinsPrimaryServer -join ","),($IPinfo.WinsSecondaryServer -join ",")

$netSpeed = Get-HGNetworkSpeedDuplex -ComputerName $servername
    $IPv6 = Get-HGIPv6Status -ComputerName $servername

Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'IPAddress' -Value ($IPinfo.IPAddress -join ",") -Force
    Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'Submask' -Value ($IPinfo.IPSubnet -join ",") -Force
    Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'Gateway' -Value ($IPinfo.DefaultIPGateway -join ",") -Force
    Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'DNSServers' -Value ($IPinfo.DnsServerSearchOrder-join ",") -Force
    Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'WinServers' -Value ($winServers -join ",") -Force
    Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'DomainSuffixes' -Value ($IPinfo.DNSDomainSuffixSearchOrder -join ",") -Force
    Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'IPv6Enabled' -Value ($IPV6 -as [string]) -Force
    Add-Member -InputObject $NetworkInfo -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'SpeedDuplex' -Value ($netSpeed -as [string]) -Force

Write-Output $NetworkInfo
    }

as you can see, this return only one item.

can you check, and let me know what I need to change to be able to return more than one network adapter in a computer

Curtis Smith
    Participant

Well, your foreach loop only consists of this section, and each time it loops, you are overwriting the object before outputting it anywhere.

foreach($network in $networkData){

$props = @{ 'Adapter' = $adapter;
    'Manufacturer' = $networkData.Manufacturer;
    'Description' = $networkData.Description;
    'Connection' = $networkData.NetConnectionID;
    'SpeedGB' = [string]$networkData.Speed/1000/1000/1000 }

$adapter += 1

$NetworkInfo = New-Object -TypeName psobject -Property $props
    }

Instead of ending your loop there, you probably want it to finish building out all of your data and not end it until after your Write-Output. That way you are outputting the data for the current NIC before you start building your data for the second, etc. NIC.

Richard Siddaway

Hi

Your script can be simplified as below. I've also corrected a couple of errors eg using the collection instead of iteration variable in your foreach when creating the properties. The trick here is that the DEviceId property on Win32_NetworkAdapter has the same value as Index on Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration so you can use that to match adapters and IP data

I've commented out the lines using your functions for speed etc and I've commented out the 2 Get-WmiObject calls as I'm running this locally. You see the original lines and swap the uncommented and commented lines

function Get-HGNetworkInfo{

[cmdletbinding()]

param( [string]$ComputerName )

$networkinfo = @()

Write-Verbose "Getting Network Info for $computername" -Verbose
        #$networks = Get-WmiObject -Computer $ComputerName Win32_Networkadapter -Credential $cred -Filter 'NetEnabled=True'
        $networks = Get-WmiObject Win32_Networkadapter -Filter 'NetEnabled=True'

$adapter = 0
        foreach($network in $networks){

$id = $network.DeviceId

#$IPinfo = Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapterconfiguration -ComputerName $ComputerName -Credential $cred -Filter "Index = $id"
            $IPinfo = Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapterconfiguration -Filter "Index = $id"
            $winServers = 0
            $winServers = ($IPinfo.WinsPrimaryServer -join ','),($IPinfo.WinsSecondaryServer -join ',')

#$netSpeed = Get-HGNetworkSpeedDuplex -ComputerName $servername
            #$IPv6 = Get-HGIPv6Status -ComputerName $servername 
            $netSpeed = ' '
            $IPV6 = ' '

$adapter += 1

$props = @{ 
                'Adapter' = $adapter;
                'Manufacturer' = $network.Manufacturer;
                'Description' = $network.Description;
                'Connection' = $network.NetConnectionID;
                'SpeedGB' = [string]$network.Speed / 1GB
                'IPAddress' = $IPinfo.IPAddress -join ','
                'Submask' = $IPinfo.IPSubnet -join ','
                'Gateway' = $IPinfo.DefaultIPGateway -join ','
                'DNSServers' = $IPinfo.DnsServerSearchOrder-join ','
                'WinServers' = $winServers -join ','
                'DomainSuffixes' = $IPinfo.DNSDomainSuffixSearchOrder -join ','
                'IPv6Enabled' = $IPV6 -as [string]
                'SpeedDuplex' = $netSpeed -as [string]
            }

$networkinfo += New-Object -TypeName psobject -Property $props
        }
        $networkinfo
    }
    Get-HGNetworkInfo -ComputerName $env:COMPUTERNAME

Helder Guzman
    Participant

Thanks that worked great!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.