New-ADUser -otherAttributes (acceptable range of values ERROR)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeff Taylor Jeff Taylor 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jeff Taylor
    Jeff Taylor
    Participant

I have imported a few properties of an ADUser I want to create from a csv

DisplayName         : JT_vNext
    mail                : JT_vNext@co.com
    mailnickname        : Ha5tv9x
    ProxyAddresses      : SMTP:J_T_vNext@co.com
    targetaddress       : smtp:Ha5tv9x@mgd.co.com
    extensionAttribute5 : MBX=25GB;TYPE=EP2D_Dumpster;

and have tried to pipe this into this bit of PS to create the user(s):

$newUsers |
         % {New-ADUser  -Credential $creds -Path 'OU=vNext,DC=amer,DC=co,DC=com'-Name $_.DisplayName -samAccountName $_.mailnickname -DisplayName $_.DisplayName -EmailAddress $_.mail `
          -OtherAttributes @{ProxyAddresses="$_.ProxyAddresses";mailnickname="$_.mailnickname";targetAddress="$_.targetaddress";extensionAttribute5="$_.extensionAttribute5"}`
           } # -Enabled $True -AccountPassword (ConvertTo-SecureString $_.Password -AsPlainText -force) -PasswordNeverExpires $True}

Error returned is:

New-ADUser : A value for the attribute was not in the acceptable range of values
    At line:2 char:9

I have commented out the -Enabled True section until I can at least get some users in AD working first. NOt sure what attribute PS is balking at.

Thanks

Profile photo of 84rusty .
    84rusty .
    Participant

Remove the quotes around the piped object properties, as when in quotes Powershell hasn't been given a chance to evaluate what $_.ProxyAddresses is yet.

So change:

ProxyAddresses="$_.ProxyAddresses"

To:

ProxyAddresses=$_.ProxyAddresses

And repeat the process for each property you have there.

If you want it in quotes, you can force evaluation by wrapping it in brackets and pre-pending a dollar sign:

ProxyAddresses="$($_.ProxyAddresses)"

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of 84rusty . 84rusty ..
      Profile photo of Jeff Taylor
      Jeff Taylor
      Participant

Thank you Rusty....I have Users now.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.