New-AzureADMSGroup fail

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A New-AzureADMSGroup fail

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 2

I have a problem with this cmdlet: New-AzureADMSGroup. When I try to run the next error message come up:

“New-AzureADMSGroup : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name ‘MembershipRule’.
      At line:1 char:216
      + … XXXXXXXX” -GroupTypes “DynamicMembership” -MembershipRule “(user. …
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-AzureADMSGroup], ParameterBindingException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.Open.MSGraphV10.PowerShell.NewMSGroup”

I’m not frequently using this cmdlet, and I know this is a Public Preview so not a stable version. Do you know anything about this problem? Maybe am I misspell something that I can’t see? Or, is the cmdlet changed?

Thank you for any help

Participant
      Topics: 13
      Replies: 1753
      Helping Hand

No code was posted, so it is difficult to tell. Based on the documentation, there is a MembershipRule parameter, the first thought is that it could be in a parameterset depending on the other parameters that were passed to the cmdlet.

Participant

I have tried it with a test group according to its doc page:

New-AzureADMSGroup -DisplayName “TestGroup1” -Description “Test group for powershell.org” -MailEnabled $False -MailNickname “test” -SecurityEnabled $True -GroupTypes “DynamicMembership” -MembershipRule “(user.objectId -ne null)” -MembershipRuleProcessingState “On”

the error message was:

New-AzureADMSGroup : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name ‘MembershipRule’.
      At line:1 char:187
      + … Enabled $True -GroupTypes “DynamicMembership” -MembershipRule “(user. …
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-AzureADMSGroup], ParameterBindingException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.Open.MSGraphV10.PowerShell.NewMSGroup

the user.objectId -ne null is working if I write it directly to the Azure portal and even if I change it to something else it doesn’t work.

Participant

I have tried it with a test group according to its doc page:

New-AzureADMSGroup -DisplayName “TestGroup1” -Description “Test group for powershell.org” -MailEnabled $False -MailNickname “test” -SecurityEnabled $True -GroupTypes “DynamicMembership” -MembershipRule “(user.objectId -ne null)” -MembershipRuleProcessingState “On”

the error message was:

New-AzureADMSGroup : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name ‘MembershipRule’.
      At line:1 char:187
      + … Enabled $True -GroupTypes “DynamicMembership” -MembershipRule “(user. …
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.Open.MSGraphV10.PowerShell.NewMSGroup

the user.objectId -ne null is working if I write it directly to the Azure portal and even if I change it to something else it doesn’t work.

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 77
      Helping Hand

If you run Get-Command New-AzureADMSGroup | Select Module* , do you see the correct module listed?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.