New-SmbShare doesn't respect -WhatIf switch?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Colin Smith Colin Smith 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Colin Smith
    Colin Smith

It looks like the New-SmbShare cmdlet isn't respecting the -WhatIf switch.

To reproduce, run
    New-SmbShare -Name TempFolder -Path "C:\Temp" -WhatIf

I would not expect the "TempFolder" share to actually be created due to the addition of the WhatIf switch. However, on my server, the share is indeed created as can be seen by running:
    Get-SmbShare -Name TempFolder

Is this intended behaviour and, if not, where is the best place to report a bug?

P.S. I am running Windows Server 2012 R2 and PowerShell version 4.0.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

It's a CIM command – you can likely open the code (I think it's a function) and see what's up. And bug it on Connect.

Profile photo of Mark Hammonds
    Mark Hammonds

is that the new command for creating a symbolic link? does it work well I have no choice but to use

cmd.exe /c mklink /d "c:\ShadowCopy" ($shadows[$val].DeviceObject + "\users\$($val2)")

Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith

No Mark, it's the new command for creating network shares.

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs

You can report this as a bug. New-SmbShare relies on a wrapper function generated by the PowerShell engine to access the CreateShare function of the ROOT/Microsoft/Windows/SMB/MSFT_SMBShare CIM/WMIclass. The wrapper function does not implement the WhatIf switch exposed by the CmdletBinding parameter SupportsShouldProcess.

You can look at the wrapper function with the following code snippet.

Import-Module SmbShare; Get-Content -Path Function:\New-SmbShare

The CDXML definition for the New-SmbShare CIM cmdlet can be found in the file: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\SmbShare\SmbShare.cdxml

Profile photo of Mark Hammonds
    Mark Hammonds

Ha i'm an idiot.. I should of looked it up in stead of assuming 😛 Thanks Curtis!!

Profile photo of Colin Smith
    Colin Smith

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.