New-VM is bombing out my script

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jack Falvey IV 4 months ago.

• Author

Jack Falvey IV
    Participant

Here's my code:

[CmdletBinding()]
            Param(
          [Parameter(Mandatory=$True,HelpMessage="Enter one or more computer name(s) and IP address(es)")]
          [string[]]$ComputerName
            )
            Connect-VIServer -Server vcenterserver -Verbose
            $TargetCluster = Get-Cluster -Location "cluster" -Verbose
            $SourceVMTemplate = Get-Template -Name "Template" -Verbose
            $SourceCustomSpec = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name "Windows 2012 R2" -Verbose
            ForEach ($Computer in $ComputerName) {
                Write-Verbose -Message "Preparing to deploy [$Computer]." -Verbose
                $IPAddress = Read-Host -Prompt "Please enter IP Address"
                $SubnetMask = Read-Host -Prompt "Please enter Subnet Mask"
                $DefaultGateway = Read-Host -Prompt "Please enter Default Gateway"
                $DNSServerPrimary = Read-Host -Prompt "Please enter primary DNS address"
                $DNSServerSecondary = Read-Host -Prompt "Please enter secondary DNS address"
                Write-Verbose -Message "Deploying Virtual Machine with Name: [$Computer] using Template: [$SourceVMTemplate] and Customization Specification: [$SourceCustomSpec] on Cluster: [$TargetCluster] and waiting for completion"  -Verbose
                Start-Sleep -s 60
                New-VM -Name $Computer -Template $SourceVMTemplate -ResourcePool $TargetCluster -OSCustomizationSpec $SourceCustomSpec -Verbose
                Write-Verbose -Message "Virtual Machine $Computer Deployed. Powering On" -Verbose
                Start-Sleep -s 120
                Start-VM -VM $Computer -Verbose
                Start-Sleep -s 300 -Verbose
                Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpAddress $IPAddress -SubnetMask $SubnetMask -DefaultGateway $DefaultGateway
                Set-DnsClientServerAddress -InterfaceIndex 12 -ServerAddresses ("$DNSServerPrimary","$DNSServerSecondary")
                Stop-VM -Server $Computer
                Set-NetAdapter -Name "Net adapter" -VlanID Vlan#
                Start-VM -Name $Computer
    }

When I run this code, I return the following error:

New-VM : 7/24/2017 2:09:59 PM   New-VM          Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
    At line:19 char:13
    +             New-VM -Name $Computer -Template $SourceVMTemplate -Resou ...
    +             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-VM], VimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewVM 

I've thrown in the Start-Sleep cmdlets for troubleshooting, but I honestly can't figure out what is flagging the issue. Thoughts?

Don Jones
    Keymaster

I'd probably toss in a breakpoint to stop the script right before New-VM, and then try running it manually. Something you're passing the command is making it choke, but it's all server-side, so without being there with you in person to futz with it, it's hard to say exactly what. But it's one of your parameters, I expect.

Jack Falvey IV
      Participant

Duly noted, I'll dig in further. Odd thing is the error isn't causing the script to stop, at the moment, it just alerts then continues. Maybe it's less of a problem than I thought it was.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.