Newb question - Spaces in output

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Potter Dan Potter 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tony DiLeone
    Tony DiLeone
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I haven't worked with PS in over a year and even then I wasn't that experienced with it. I'm trying to see a simple script to remove all ProxyAddresses for a deprecated domain from my Active Directory accounts. However, the output is coming back with spaces after SMTP: and after the mailnickname field. Can someone tell me how to get rid of these spaces so the command works? Here is the script:

$ADobjects = @(Get-ADObject -Filter 'objectClass -eq "User"' -Properties mailNickname, ProxyAddresses) | Where-Object {$_.ProxyAddresses -Match "@domain.xyz"}
    ForEach ($userObject in $ADobjects)
    {
    ForEach ($proxyAddress in $userObject.ProxyAddresses)

Set-ADUser $userobject.mailnickname -Remove '@{ProxyAddresses="SMTP:'$userObject.mailnickname'@domain.xyz}'

}

Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

Why are you performing set foreach proxy address?

We don't have to specify the .mailnickname property after set-aduser, the cmdlet is capable of binding the object to set-aduser. We wouldn't use this property for identity anyway.

I suspect you have issues in your qoutes. Singles are literal and I don't see the end double qoute. Use write-host to troubleshoot.

Get the value of what proxy you are looking for and remove it. No sense building a string of data that is already present.

Lastly improve your filter. get-aduser -Filter 'anr -like "smtp:*@mydomain.com"'

Dan Potter
    Participant

Always work with one object first until you know for sure what it's doing.

$users = get-aduser -Filter 'anr -eq "smtp:myemail@somewhere.com"' -properties proxyaddresses

$users | %{

$proxytoremove = $_.proxyaddresses -match "@somedomain.somewhere.com"

Set-ADUser $_ -Remove @{ProxyAddresses=$proxytoremove} -whatif

}

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

And don't ever, ever, ever use % as an alias for foreach-object in a production script

Dan Potter
    Participant

Is there a technical reason for that or just opinion?

This would fit into the one off typed into shell never saved category:D

Profile photo of Wilfredo Perez
    Wilfredo Perez
    Participant

Dan,

It best practice to use the cmdlet instead of alias. I can use ? in a statement like | ? {$_.something -like something} or I can do the same thing using the cmdlet like so: | where {$_.something -like something}. It's harder to read when using the alias instead of the cmdlet.

Thanks,
    Freddy

Dan Potter
    Participant

That's fine but still no documentation that says never ever ever. Just like the write-host opinions.

I do understand what they are for:D

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Dan Potter Dan Potter.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.