Newbie to loops

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 3 months ago.

• Author

Matt
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Just starting out in Powershell and I've put together this to get some basic information on a range of machines for basic monthly maintenance reports.
    The code works but only to the local machine I think it has something to do with not assigning the variable $server in the foreach loop to anything any ideas on how I could fix this ? Thanks in advance 🙂

[void] [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('Microsoft.VisualBasic')

#list of servers file path
    $ServersFilePath = [Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction]::InputBox('Example: C:\Folder\File.txt or \\SERVERNAME\SHARE\File.txt','Server List File Path','localhost')

#Report File Path
    $ReportFilePath = [Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction]::InputBox('Example: C:\Folder or \\SERVERNAME\SHARE','End Report File Path','localhost')

#Number of Log enteries to retrieve
    $NumLogEntries = "20"

#Maintenance start date in format D/M/YYYY
    $MaintStartDate = [Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction]::InputBox('Format: D/M/YYYY','Maintenance Start Date','1/1/2017')

#Maintenance end date in format D/M/YYYY
    $MaintEndDate = [Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction]::InputBox('Format: D/M/YYYY','Maintenance End Date','1/1/2017')

#CPU Test Length
    $CPUTestLength = "10"

$Servers = Get-Content $ServersFilePath

foreach ($Server in $Servers) 
    {

#Servername
    $SVRName = $env:COMPUTERNAME

#IP Address
    $IPV4 = (Test-Connection -ComputerName $env:computername -count 1).IPV4Address.ipaddressTOstring

#System Event Log Errors
    $SysEventLog = Get-EventLog -LogName System -Newest $NumLogEntries -EntryType Error -After $MaintStartDate -before $MaintEndDate

#Application Event Log Errors
    $AppEventLog = Get-EventLog -LogName Application -Newest $NumLogEntries -EntryType Error -After $MaintStartDate -before $MaintEndDate

#Local Drive Information
    $DriveInfo = Get-CimInstance win32_logicaldisk | ForEach-Object {write " $($_.Caption) $('{0:N2}' -f ($_.Size/1gb)) GB total, $('{0:N2}' -f ($_.FreeSpace/1gb)) GB free "}

#CPU Min and Max Over x seconds
    $CPURange = get-counter -Counter "\Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time" -SampleInterval 1 -MaxSamples $CPUTestLength | select -ExpandProperty countersamples | Measure-Object -property cookedvalue -Maximum -minimum

#Toal and Free RAM
    $os = Get-WmiObject -Class win32_operatingsystem
    $RAMTtl = [math]::Round(($os.TotalVisibleMemorySize/1000000))
    $RAMFree = [math]::Round(($os.FreePhysicalMemory/1000000))

#Time Since Last Reboot
    $rv = Get-WmiObject -Class win32_operatingsystem -Property Lastbootuptime
    $LastBoot =  $rv.ConvertToDateTime($rv.LastBootUpTime)
    } 

#Creating report file
    $SVRName, $IPV4, $SysEventLog, $AppEventLog, $DriveInfo, $CPURange, $RAMTtl, $RAMFree | Out-File $ReportFilePath\$SVRName.txt -force
    $LastBoot | Out-File $ReportFilePath\$SVRName.txt -Append 

Don Jones
    Keymaster

You've used $env:computername, which would be your local computer name, for the -ComputerName parameter.

It would seem like you'd want to use $server, which is your loop's enumeration variable, no? I also note that you're not consistently querying a remote computer – not every command uses -ComputerName, for example. In fact, it seems only your first Get-EventLog does.

As a note, you're starting down a dark path in terms of PowerShell practices and patterns, and it's going to cost you a lot more work the further you go. You might consider "Learn PowerShell Scripting in a Month of Lunches," which will get you on The Path of Righteousness when it comes to scripting "the PowerShell way."

Matt
    Participant

Hey Don,
    While waiting for this post to be approved I did notice the same thing and have added -ComputerName parameters to all my commands.
    I have actually bought your book and am getting through it slowly as I'm not the biggest fan of reading. Is very interesting though
    Thank you again 🙂
    Matt

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.