NIC Information of servers exported to one text file

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of girakul girakul 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of girakul
    girakul
    Participant

Hello, I am trying to get the machine name, with the NIC information such as interfacealias, ipaddress, and a status of about 30 servers in a vlan. I got to 2 basic commands that do it separately, but they either overwrite the text file, and not get it all in one basically... I am thinking of running it using the invoke-command cmdlet...

Invoke-Command -ComputerName (Get-Content C:\PowerShell\servers.txt) -FilePath C:\PowerShell\NicServersStatus.ps1

Content of the .ps1 is something like –

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem | ft Domain, Name | out-file -filepath \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$\test\11.15.2013.txt

and

Get-NetAdapter | Get-NetIPAddress -ea 0 | ft interfacealias, ipaddress | out-file -filepath \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$\test\11.15.2013.txt

But I am kind of stuck, anyone has any good ideas of how to get it done?

Profile photo of Vern Anderson
    Vern Anderson
    Participant

Make sure your Out-File command has the -Append switch parameter on.

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem | ft Domain, Name | out-file -filepath \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$\test\11.15.2013.txt -Append

-VERN

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

You may run into problems even with the Append switch. The way you've set up that command, multiple computers might be trying to write to the same file at the same time, which will fail. It would be more reliable to have your remote script blocks just return objects, and do the file I/O from your local session.

Profile photo of girakul
    girakul
    Participant

Vern & Dave, thank you for your input.

Dave, could you give me an example of what you think could be a good way of having it done?

Dave Wyatt

Basically, instead of this:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName (Get-Content C:\PowerShell\servers.txt) -ScriptBlock { Get-NetAdapter | Get-NetIPAddress -ea 0 | ft interfacealias, ipaddress | out-file -filepath \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$\test\11.15.2013.txt }

It would look more like this:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName (Get-Content C:\PowerShell\servers.txt) -ScriptBlock { Get-NetAdapter | Get-NetIPAddress -ea 0 | Select-Object interfacealias, ipaddress } |
    Format-Table |
    Out-File -filepath \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$\test\11.15.2013.txt

I used a script block instead of FilePath just to demonstrate how the contents of the file would change. Take any calls to Out-File out of the remotely invoked script, so they just return objects. The pipe to Out-File happens locally on your machine.

Profile photo of girakul
    girakul
    Participant

Ahhh very nice, thank you Dave! Definitely helped me!

Profile photo of girakul
    girakul
    Participant

How do I also get it to generate MAC address information? Here is what I got so far but the results are coming blank for the MAC –

Invoke-Command -ComputerName (Get-Content C:\test\PowerShell\servers.txt) -ScriptBlock { Get-NetAdapter | Get-NetIPAddress -AddressFamily IPv4 -ea 0 | Select-Object interfacealias, ipaddress, MacAddress} | sort-object -property PSComputerName | format-table PSComputerName, interfacealias, ipaddress, MacAddress -auto | Out-File -filepath \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$\test\11.15.2013.txt

Profile photo of girakul
    girakul
    Participant

I tried this but the MAC is still not generated...

Also, isn't there a "cleaner" way of coding this in PS 3.0?

Dave Wyatt

[quote=11563]Also, isn’t there a “cleaner” way of coding this in PS 3.0?
    [/quote]

Not that I'm aware of. There are small changes you can make, but they all boil down to splitting your pipeline into smaller parts so you can save a reference to the NetAdapter object. I don't think you can do it all in one pipeline without the -PipelineVariable parameter.

Profile photo of girakul
    girakul
    Participant

Gotcha, very well, thanks Dave!

Dave Wyatt

Are you running PowerShell 4.0 yet? If so, this is a good spot to take advantage of the new common parameter "-PipelineVariable":

Get-NetAdapter -PipelineVariable adapter |
    Get-NetIPAddress -AddressFamily IPv4 -ea 0 |
    Select-Object interfacealias, ipaddress, @{Name = 'MacAddress'; Expression = { $adapter.MacAddress } }

If you're using PowerShell 3.0, you need to put some of this code into a ForEach-Object block to accomplish the same result:

Get-NetAdapter  |
    ForEach-Object {
        $adapter = $_

$adapter |
        Get-NetIPAddress -AddressFamily IPv4 -ea 0 |
        Select-Object interfacealias, ipaddress, @{Name = 'MacAddress'; Expression = { $adapter.MacAddress } }
    }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.