No Datum store found for DSC Resource error

Welcome Forums DSC (Desired State Configuration) No Datum store found for DSC Resource error

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
1 month ago.

• Author

Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 59
    Helping Hand

I watched Gael Colas' presentations which can be found on Youtube,
    and I am very convinced that it is a very usefull module when working with DSC.
    However, I am not able to use Datum correctly.

I've created a little structure with 2 nodes and 2 roles just to play arround and be able to manage the basics.

PS> (Get-ChildItem -Recurse).FullName
    E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\AllNodes
    E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\Roles
    E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\Datum.yml
    E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\AllNodes\v-Computer1.yml
    E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\AllNodes\v-Computer2.yml
    E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\Roles\FileServer.yml
    E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\Roles\WebServer.yml

Based on what I found on the Datum's Github page, I've filled the files and here is the content

PS> Get-ChildItem *.yml -Recurse | ForEach-Object {"`n`r$($_.FullName)"; Get-Content -Path $_.FullName}

E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\AllNodes\v-Computer1.yml
    Name: v-Computer1
    IP: '10.0.0.11'
    Role: FileServer

E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\AllNodes\v-Computer2.yml
    Name: v-Computer2
    IP: '10.0.0.12'
    Role: WebServer

E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\Roles\FileServer.yml
    WindowsFeatureList:
      - FS-FileServer
      - FS-Data-Deduplication

E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\Roles\WebServer.yml
    WindowsFeatureList:
      - Web-WebServer

E:\dsc\ConfigurationData\Datum.yml
    ResolutionPrecedence:
      - AllNodes\$($Node.Name)
      - Roles\$($Node.Role)

Now creating the Datum variable

$datum = New-DatumStructure -DefinitionFile .\Datum.yml

Looking inside the variable

PS> $datum

Name                           Value                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    ----                           -----                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    __Definition                   {ResolutionPrecedence, DatumStructure}                                                                                                                                                                  
    Roles                          FileProvider                                                                                                                                                                                            
    AllNodes                       FileProvider

PS> $datum.Roles

FileServer           WebServer           
    ----------           ---------           
    {WindowsFeatureList} {WindowsFeatureList}

PS> $datum.AllNodes

v-Computer1      v-Computer2     
    -----------      -----------     
    {Name, IP, Role} {Name, IP, Role}

PS> $datum.AllNodes.'v-Computer1'

Name                           Value                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    ----                           -----                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    Name                           v-Computer1                                                                                                                                                                                             
    IP                             10.0.0.11                                                                                                                                                                                               
    Role                           FileServer

So far so good!

However, I am not able to make the lookup working...

PS> Lookup WindowsFeatureList
    WARNING: 	No Datum store found for DSC Resource
    The lookup of path 'WindowsFeatureList' for node '' returned a Null value, but Null is not specified as Default. This is not allowed.
    At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\datum\0.0.38\ScriptsToProcess\Resolve-NodeProperty.ps1:106 char:9
    +         throw "The lookup of path '$PropertyPath' for node '$($node.N ...
    +         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (The lookup of p...is not allowed.:String) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : The lookup of path 'WindowsFeatureList' for node '' returned a Null value, but Null is not specified as Default. This is not allowed.

PS> Lookup -DatumTree $datum -Node v-Computer1 -PropertyPath WindowsFeatureList
    The lookup of path 'WindowsFeatureList' for node '' returned a Null value, but Null is not specified as Default. This is not allowed.
    At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\datum\0.0.38\ScriptsToProcess\Resolve-NodeProperty.ps1:106 char:9
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (The lookup of p...is not allowed.:String) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : The lookup of path 'WindowsFeatureList' for node '' returned a Null value, but Null is not specified as Default. This is not allowed.

PS> Lookup -DatumTree $datum -Node v-Computer1 -PropertyPath Name
    The lookup of path 'Name' for node '' returned a Null value, but Null is not specified as Default. This is not allowed.
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : The lookup of path 'Name' for node '' returned a Null value, but Null is not specified as Default. This is not allowed.

PS> Lookup -DatumTree $datum -Node v-Computer1 -PropertyPath IP
    The lookup of path 'IP' for node '' returned a Null value, but Null is not specified as Default. This is not allowed.
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : The lookup of path 'IP' for node '' returned a Null value, but Null is not specified as Default. This is not allowed.

If someone could save me from tearing my hair out of my head... 🙂

Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 46
    Helping Hand

If you change your debug preference to continue you should get much more info for troubleshooting.

Sorry, only on my phone rn.

Feel free to paste result here and I can try to help interpret.

Participant
      Helping Hand

Hi Gael!

Here is the output:

PS> Lookup -DatumTree $datum -Node v-Computer1 -PropertyPath WindowsFeatureList -Debug
      DEBUG: Resolve-Datum -PropertyPath  -Node 
      DEBUG: Get-MergeStrategyFromString -MergeStrategy <>
      DEBUG: Couldn't Match the strategy 
      DEBUG: 	Get-MergeStrategyFromPath -PropertyPath  -Strategies [^.*], count 1
      DEBUG: 	  Strategy matching regex ^.*
      DEBUG: 	  StrategyKey: ^.*
      DEBUG: 	  Returning Strategy ^.* of type ''
      DEBUG: 			
      DEBUG: 			Current Path: $Datum.AllNodes
      DEBUG: 				branch of path Left to walk: .WindowsFeatureList
      DEBUG: 			Current Path: $Datum.AllNodes.WindowsFeatureList
      DEBUG: 				branch of path Left to walk: .
      DEBUG:   Depth: 0; Merge options = 1
      DEBUG: 			
      DEBUG: 			Current Path: $Datum.Roles
      DEBUG: 				branch of path Left to walk: .WindowsFeatureList
      DEBUG: 			Current Path: $Datum.Roles.WindowsFeatureList
      DEBUG: 				branch of path Left to walk: .
      DEBUG:   Depth: 0; Merge options = 1
      DEBUG: 		Attempting to load datum from E:\dsc\ConfigurationData.

Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 46
    Helping Hand

Ha yeah, you don't have anything set for Node to lookup.

You should first set it:

$node = $datum.AllNodes.'v-computer1'

Then do the lookup.

The lookup command has a parameter $node that resolves automatically what exist in current session, or you can explicitly pass the node Hashtable as param.

Participant
      Helping Hand

Unfortunately I get the same error.
      It would have suprised me because I already used the -Node parameter with the cmdlet.

PS> $node = $datum.AllNodes.'v-computer1'

PS> Lookup -DatumTree $datum -Node v-Computer1 -PropertyPath WindowsFeatureList

I also tried without using the -Node parameter, but same error.

PS> Lookup -DatumTree $datum -PropertyPath WindowsFeatureList
      The lookup of path 'WindowsFeatureList' for node 'v-Computer1' returned a Null value, but Null is not specified as Default. This is not allowed.
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : The lookup of path 'WindowsFeatureList' for node 'v-Computer1' returned a Null value, but Null is not specified as Default. This is not allowed.

Participant
      Helping Hand

My apologies Gael,

Despite your clear explanation, I've completely misread your answer...
      By using the $Node object instead of the node name it's working better 🙂

I had a look at your code and have a suggestion to avoid this mistake with other people using your module:

You can create the $root object in the New-DatumStructure function with a PSTypeName.
      And accordingly, you can check this PSTypeName on the -Node parameter from the Resolve-Datum (lookup) function
      instead of validating the parameter as a beeing a string.

I am quite sure you know the PSTypeName, but just in case, here is very good explanation from Adam Bertram:

https://adamtheautomator.com/building-custom-object-types-powershell-pstypename/

Anyway, thanks for your help Gael! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.