No more help? After Install of PSH3

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

by AevnsGrandpa at 2013-03-11 20:19:35

I manage a number of firewalled servers running Windows Server 2008r2 and after attending a great TechMentor 2013 in Orlando, I wanted to update Power Shell to version 3. So I downloaded the installer from Windows download and copied it over via RDP to one of the servers and run the install.

Now when I do a get-help on anything I have the very basic info but it says it cannot find the help. These are isolated from anything on the internet so I am at a loss of what happened and what to do.

Ideas or thoughts?

Jeff

by tmmuessig at 2013-03-12 06:28:33

Make sure you are running as an administrator and to the following:

Update-Help -Module *

by MasterOfTheHat at 2013-03-12 07:19:17

You're awesome tmmuessig! I've been fighting with this since I installed v3 on my Windows 7 workstation. I got the following error, even though it looks like the help for cmdlets like Get-ADUser and Get-GPInheritance are working.
    update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'ActiveDirectory, AppLocker, BitsTransfer, FailoverClusters,
    GroupPolicy, PSDiagnostics, TroubleshootingPack, OperationsManager' : The Update-Help command failed because the
    specified module does not support updatable help. Use Get-Help -Online or look online for help for the commands in
    this module.
    At line:1 char:1
    + update-help -module *
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (HelpInfoUri:Uri) [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HelpInfoUriNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

by AevnsGrandpa at 2013-03-13 08:18:06

Well I got the same error as MasterOfTheHat did.

Again my servers are isolated from any internet connection so could that be it? Also after installing the KB for PSH 3 I note that in the PowerShell folder under all programs has 4 listings, 2 for (x86) and 2 without. Didn't know if that meant anything.

Jeff

by DonJ at 2013-03-13 08:47:16

That error means Update-Help was unable to find updated help at the URL specified in the respective modules. That could be connectivity – and it could also just be that the product team responsible for the help hasn't posted any.

The solution is to run Save-Help on a connected machine, and specify a storage location – maybe a USB drive. Then you can carry that to the disconnected machine, and run Update-Help – pointing the command (via one of its parameters) to that saved help storage.

by AevnsGrandpa at 2013-03-14 11:43:15

Hi Don,

I can do that but I am wondering what happened to the help that was there for version 2 which was already on the machine with help when I loaded the OS. The help disapeared when I installed version 3. So the help is still there unless it deleted it. IF it is still there, can I just tell version 3 to look where the help is for verison 2?

Jeff

by DonJ at 2013-03-14 11:50:06

If it is there, it would be in powershell's installation folder. You can look. But I'm pretty sure version 3 deletes it.

by AevnsGrandpa at 2013-03-15 06:46:44

Ok so I looked at the c:\windows\system32\windows powershell folder on a server I have not installed PSH 3 on and there is a v1.0 folder and it is I see the help xml files a folder for examples and few other items. Going back to the server I installed PSH 3 on I have the same folder in system32 and it has more items in it. So I am thinking for some reason it is not that the help is gone it is just not being looked at in the right place but I don;t know if or how to use Update-Help to repoint it at it's own help documents.

Also so it is understood, I did a search for PowerShell 3 and found a link the Microsofts download area to the following KB which is listed as PowerShell v.3.0, KB2506143.

Jeff

by DonJ at 2013-03-15 07:19:01

You can't use Update-Help to change where the shell looks for the XML files; that's a hardcoded behavior based on module location. Part of what changes from v2 to v3 is the core commands were refactored out of snapins and into modules, which means the shell won't look in the old location for help. Bottom line, I suppose, is that once you install v3 you've GOT to run Update-Help if you want the help files.

by AevnsGrandpa at 2013-03-15 11:18:53

Ok, guess I will have to upgrade my laptop to v3 since Save-Help is not in v2 and then move it all to the servers....Still strange..

Jeff

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.