Non-Terminating Error Unit test

Welcome Forums Pester Non-Terminating Error Unit test

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 2

Hello all,

I’m pretty new to the unit testing world and have been working through the Pester Book.  I’m struggling with mocking Set-ADUser when it has a non-terminating error.

Generally, I want to set a property with Set-ADUser and pipeline an object with what happened (success or failure for any reason)  My pipeline object does contain more information than this sample.

Rough code in function:

How can I mock Set-ADUser to hit the catch block?  I know the code hits the catch block if i test my function with bad input.   I’ve looked at some references to $ErrorAction and counting non terminating errors, but I can’t ever get the mock right that it hits the catch.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 2

I worked out a solution.

Set-AdUser was set with -ErrorAction ‘Stop’

The Mock

The test

If there is a better or the more correct way,  I’m be keen to learn it.

Dan

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 1368
      Helping Hand

Error handling in a script is always important and -ErrorAction is a builtin option in all PowerShell cmdlets. Catch block is consumed only in case of a terminating error. for a cmdlet which throws a non terminating error, it just throws and continues to the nest statement, this is controlled using the -ErrorAction for that cmdlet.
      By setting its value to Stop makes it to terminate, hence the catch block is consumed.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Non-Terminating Error Unit test’ is closed to new replies.