Not able to put my Switch output to a logfile

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  situscript 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

situscript
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Here is the piece of code where i am picking an IP and connecting to it and then running a command to show all the port errors and then trying to put that output into a text file. At last sending that output to my mail.

So everything is working out as perfect as i want but i am getting a mail with an empty attachment, where i don't see my port errors and rather the date and the IP . could anybody please help me in solving the issue. i am sure that i am missing a small one.

$SMTPSRV = "smtp.xyz.net"
    $EmailFrom = "from@email.com"
    $EmailTo ="to@email.com"
    $logFile = "Brocade-Log-" + (Get-date -f dd ).tostring() + (Get-date -f MM ).tostring() + ((Get-Date).year).tostring() + ".txt"

(get-date) > $logFile

Get-Content C:\Users\xyzpa\Desktop\fibre-switches.txt | % { $_ >> $logFile ; & 'C:\Users\xyzpa\Desktop\putty.exe' -l admin -pw Sty34viR -m C:\Users\xyzpa\Desktop\brocade1.txt $_ >> $logFile}
    #Get-Content .\Desktop\fibre-switches.txt | % { & '.\Desktop\putty.exe' -l admin -pw password -m .\brocade2.txt $_ }

$MyReport = "Cleared Fibre switch errors for all brocade switches"
    Send-MailMessage -To $EmailTo -Subject "Brocade switch error clear." -From $EmailFrom -Body $MyReport -SmtpServer $SMTPSRV -Attachments $LogFile

output of the above script.
    Brocade-11172017.txt(attachement)

Friday, November 17, 2017 6:53:26 PM
    196.20.162.xyz

Here is the files used in the script.

fibre-switches.txt : 196.20.162.xyz
    brocade1.txt : porterrshow

Pradeep Arora
    Participant

I would put full path into the $logfile, that way I know where it is being created and then go check it. Otherwise you might be trying to create it in Windows\System

situscript
      Participant

I Tried with full path but not working. Same output is coming. and what will i create in windows/system

situscript
      Participant

I tried with only the below but still is not coming anything in the output.

$logFile = 'C:\Users\khvs087pa\Desktop\porterrshow.txt'

(get-date) >> $logFile

Get-Content C:\Users\khvs087pa\Desktop\fibre-switches.txt | % { $_ >> $logFile ; & 'C:\Users\khvs087pa\Desktop\putty.exe' -l admin -pw xyz -m C:\Users\khvs087pa\Desktop\brocade1.txt $_ >> $logFile}

and the output is same:

Friday, November 17, 2017 7:29:20 PM
      196.20.162.xyz

iain Barnetson
    Participant

Not what you're looking for but couldn't help notice how you name your file, with the date

$logFile = "Brocade-Log-" + (Get-date -f dd ).tostring() + (Get-date -f MM ).tostring() + ((Get-Date).year).tostring() + ".txt"

....and wanted to suggest

$logfile = "Brocade-Log-$((GET-DATE).ToString("ddMMyyyy")).txt"

which will return: "Brocade-Log-17112017.txt"

situscript
      Participant

thanks for the suggestion @iain

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.